587,161 active members*
2,970 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

oxy valve for machine torch

i have been looking everywhere for that oxygen valve for machine torch (gas/oxygen cutting torch)

using 3 hoses one for gas and 2 oxygen (one for preheat and one is for cutting and how to get that valve to turn on and off the cutting oxygen)

any way to make it homemade??

i have seen accurate mike's setup using air cylinder and regular torch.. but am leaning toward to machine torch style.. unless you can give me idea how to have the regular torch heading straight down instead of 90 degree like regular torch..

any ideas would be really helpful :cheers:

May not be the answer you are looking for but...
    ay one time we needed a vertical or 'plunge' cutting head for a standard oxy/acet torch, and didn't have much time to spend [or money for that matter], and all we did was cut the tubes about a inch away from the head, and silver soldered on some brass 90's...gave about a two inch offset from dead center, but worked very well for what we needed at the time ..

enjoy..

that is a possible route we can do.. but if someone has a good way to turn on and off the oxygen valve ill be super interested in that.. if not i guess i will have to build same valve as accurate mike and plumb same as urs.. got pic how u did it? (pics are always good )

Some use just an ordinary solenoid.. works 'kind of' ok, only drawback is very rapid opening of cut oxy..will give a bit more splash back than normal hand opening...

so..an alternative is to use another stepper motor, and put an offset cam on the end of it.. to open use another axis [ie: a], and select rotation amount and feed speed for this axis, as fast or gentle as you want it, and easily repeatable..

another alternative is to use an air solenoid, with a relay opening a valve..
    actuation speed is controled by a metered [either fixed or adjustable] orfice, with return from the oxy lever on the torch, sometimes with return spring assist if the solenoid is sticky or gummy..an air dryer [and lubricator], for one valve is sometimes hard to justify..

sorry..didn't take any photo's of the right angle mod on the torch head..

enjoy..

115 VAC Gas solenoid valve--part number 51914--List Price $141.47
    R36-75-540 Oxygen regulator p.n. 21185 --List Price $103.74 (need 2) 1 for preheat Oxy//1 for cut Oxy
    R 36-15-510 Acetylene regulator p.n. 21184 --List Price $103.74

thats the price i got from esab.com

sound quite lot for just valve...

but then again.. the air cylinder and valve costs about 90 bux alone for so its kinda worth it buying extra 50 bux for that valve...

unless someone has a good idea?

I looked at a Victor machine torch that was 5x more expensive than the hand torch, and still had a button. I think $141.00 is not too bad for a solenoid valve though. Add up my air cylinder, solenoid and relay and you are well on your way (I need air around too). I tried a solenoid to push the button. It takes alot of force to depress the button. A big enough solenoid was very power hungry and could not be modulated well at all. The folks that said air wouldn't work recommended the stepper/cam method. I didn't feel like sorting that out (or writing it into my code). With a regulator ($14.99 HF special) and orifice throttle ($2.99 HF too) I can regulate speed and power very easily. I liked it so much, that I used 4 cylinders and 5 solenoid valves (1 double acting cylinder) to make my kids a robot arm to play with. Fun. For my "screws over the top" design, a vertical torch would have been a deal killer anyhow. MIKE

I purchased an oxy solenoid valve for my 3 line victor machine torch from my local welding supplier. I don't remember the cost but it seems like it was around $70. It looks exactly like a "Red Hat" valve but is rated for oxygen. If I had it to do again, I would contact the manufacture and ask if a regular air solenoid valve would be safe. It opens abruptly, but I have had no problem with piercing or back splash. If you want I can get more info for you, just ask.
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

http://www.cnconabudget.com/torch.html

was browsing around and found this.. thought it would be interesting...

i think my solution would be this.. get simlar stuff or from him i think he sell the torch holder stuff with the motor and everything.. might get it from him.. and 180 degree head torch (image attached below) then it would work perfectly.. my concern for using 90 degree head.. was the space.. rather have something going straight down.. so i think that would work perfect.. ur opinions?

http://www.cnconabudget.com/torch.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 180degreetorch.jpg