586,616 active members*
2,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A VB Script For a Turret Punch CNC

Hello CNCZone
    I want to run my Punch CNC with Mach3. I saw someone who did this on youtube.
    I think it is easy to do because all I have to do is making a macro file for the M code that switches the ram (the punching hammer) of the machine.
    But unluckily I am unfamiliar with the G code of the punch machine and don't even know what CAM program is widely used for these machines. So could anyone give me an idea about the CAM software and what M code is responsible for switching on the ram of the Punch machine. And any idea about the VB script.

Thanks in advance
    Waleed.

Hi Waleed,

It was me who has retrofit that CNC turret punch. I also had the same problem of not knowing which standard to follow for g-codes of turret punch. What I did was download a few demo software for turret punch programming and observe their generated codes. I found that no two codes are identical. So I decided to create my own codes. I made scripts such that M20 is for punching and M35 is for clamp repositioning. My machine had no tool indexing so I didn't bother to program it. For code generation I use Mastercam's drill cycle and put in M20 after each line manually. This can also be done by editing the post processor file for Mastercam.

Zafar Salam

cnc turret punching code

salaam to you gentlemen.

i sem to be in a similar predicamment.
    i also had a cnc truimph 260 rotation machine retro fitted.
    i now need to test he machine but have no sample code.
    please advise if possible.

regards
    Abdul Gamiet

Quote Originally Posted by zafarsalam View Post
    Hi Waleed,

It was me who has retrofit that CNC turret punch. I also had the same problem of not knowing which standard to follow for g-codes of turret punch. What I did was download a few demo software for turret punch programming and observe their generated codes. I found that no two codes are identical. So I decided to create my own codes. I made scripts such that M20 is for punching and M35 is for clamp repositioning. My machine had no tool indexing so I didn't bother to program it. For code generation I use Mastercam's drill cycle and put in M20 after each line manually. This can also be done by editing the post processor file for Mastercam.

Zafar Salam

Which controller did you use for retrofit?

Zafar

This machine was just recently brought into the country and has since been assembled. from what we can see the controller is still the original controller (i dont have the controller details at present). since we were not involved in the assembly i cannot say for sure what was retrofitted we are now in the predicament where we are get the machine running. so for now a sample code for this machine would be of great help as well as cable configuration so that we can test the machine as the sample coding can be edited again.

Since it's an original control, you can contact the manufacturer for it's operation manual. I have no idea about the type of codes it uses.

Zafar Salam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcamsa View Post
    This machine was just recently brought into the country and has since been assembled. from what we can see the controller is still the original controller (i dont have the controller details at present). since we were not involved in the assembly i cannot say for sure what was retrofitted we are now in the predicament where we are get the machine running. so for now a sample code for this machine would be of great help as well as cable configuration so that we can test the machine as the sample coding can be edited again.

thanks .

what cable config are you using?

Cable? With Mach3 we use USB flash drives for G-code transfer to the machine control PC. For I/O's from machine components to the control PC we use shielded cables which go into a breakout board and the breakout board is connected to the PC's two parallel ports through a couple of shielded cables.

Zafar Salam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcamsa View Post
    thanks .

what cable config are you using?

Great work Zafarsalam
    I started the work and I will keep posting the work updates. Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by waleed alhadidi View Post
    Great work Zafarsalam
    I started the work and I will keep posting the work updates. Thanks man
    Good luck Waleed with your project. May Allah help you in your efforts. Keep us posted about your progress.

Zafar