586,785 active members*
3,174 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Mini Lathe Z axis Cutting taper

Mini Lathe Z axis Cutting taper

I have a Haas Mini Lathe that broke a parting tool last week. Now the Z axis is cutting about .003 taper in an inch. Is there a way to indicate the axis back in?

Thanks

It sounds like you have moved the headstock, this will cause the Z axis to cut a taper.

I guess you have a collet chuck so you cannot indicate across the face of the chuck to check if it is parallel with the X axis; it will not be if the headstock has moved.

You could mount a disc of aluminum on a mandrel, using a countersunk bolt, and take a facing cut across. If the headstock is true the disc should be nice and flat when you check it with a good straight edge but if it is out of true the disc will be concave or convex.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Checked the X axis last night it still seems to be true. The Z axis diameter gets larger as it cuts towards the spindle. The tool was on the right side of the spindle that broke which should have pushed the head stock away making the taper the other direction if it moved. Seems like if something has move it is in the mounting between the X and Z axis. Has anyone had to tear into this before?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But the tool your turning with isn't by chance rubbing on the back side (heel of the cutter) making it push away from the work as it cuts, is it? It's hard to believe that breaking a parting tool would have that much affect on the machine, unless it was pretty fragile.

Has anyone used the taper offset in the tool table?
    I haven’t had to us it before and must not be using it right. I have set a value in the tool table but the machine is not adjusting for it. Is there a setting that needs to be change to enable it or a code in the program that needs to be called?
    Dougtyler: No the tool has clearance.

When the tool broke it didn’t trip out the X axis so things got kind of ugly before I got across the shop to it.

sounds to me like the head stock is moved, if the haas is like most lathes just loosen the bolts on the head stock indicate it back in and tighten them down.

one way to also tell is that when facing you leave a tit on the front of the part providing the turret didnt get moved also.

if you have any flat faces on your collet chuck you can run a .0001 indicator along a face using the x axis jog button. the indicator should read "0"

its pretty common for a head stock to be canted a tad after a crash or wreck.