586,659 active members*
3,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No laughing allowed...

... I WILL know if you are

I am posting an attachemnt of an ongoing discussion I am having with a gentleman I came across via. the internet. He is close to where I live. Never met him but have had lenghty e-mail discussions. He has a BSEE in Electrical Engineering and has been building CNC components for about 8 yrears.

After discussing where I was heading with my buildup, he gave me the recommendations in the attachment below. Some of what he says I understand and agree with, others I have to "accept" due to my own electrical CNC ignorance. He is providing me with firm quotes based on three configurations.

What I would like, since I know a lot of you like to actually build from the PCB up, is for honest opinions and impressions about what he has told me so far. Also, any questions I should ask based on what is in the attachment, etc.

I am not saying he is misleading me ( am I confident he is not), and in fact, he might be a member of this forum, since we are conversing using Ebay identities (keep ypu comments to your self... ). All I am doing is educating myself and seeking confirmation of currently "known" or assumed information. So, if you don't mind, please review the attachment and make any comments you wish.

And be respectfull of this guy, because he might be one of us...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-axis 5Amp Bipolar Turnkey CNC Setup[1].JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know much about the electronics, but half step mode seems too coarse. I use 1/8 step and have been very happy.

Other than that, it doesn't seem too bad. The items in the photo seem very professionally done.

Those large motors themselves aren't cheap.

Opinion

Screw that...buy 4 machine-grade Tormach 640 Oz motors (or buy them from Bob Campbell a little cheaper) plus 4 Gecko 202s or 212s (or use 201 or 210s since the Tormach's only use 5 Amps or so max).

When it comes to CNC components, I like to run what I KNOW is proven and what is definately without a shadow of a doubt what others have reported as being reliable and a good value.

All of this of course, is not to say that the guy makes a crappy product...The thrust of what I am saying is, why spend top dollar for 10 yr old technology (Allegro style 1/2 stepping) when you can have state of the art PROVEN components that microstep with silky smooooothness?

Just my thoughts...

-Brady

What are your thoughts on the Digital Isolation vs. Opto?

I agree with the previous sentiments. A modern microstepping drive is much better. Otherwise, you could end up with resonance problems which might force you to change drives.

Thanks for the information...