588,215 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Who is allowed radios in their shop?

View Poll Results: Are radios allowed in your shop?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - individual radios are allowed

304 63.07%
  • No - no radios allowed

60 12.45%
  • Yes - 1 radio plays over a loud speaker/intercom

94 19.50%
  • No - but what they don't know, won't hurt them

24 4.98%
Page 1 of 4 123

Who is allowed radios in their shop?

Since I've worked at the place I am at now, we have not be able to have radios in the shop. They allow them in the burr shop, in the assembly dept., and in offices. But not in the shop. Of course we as a collective have asked several times, and are always turned down. Too much of a distraction they say.

Just curious if how many shops do or don't allow radios.

I am...... but then I own the place

need an employee?

For years we couldn't have radios because they said it caused too many problems with everyone playing different stations. It was an old policy and they wouldn't change it ..period... then we were bought out by a large corporation and the new CEO said we could have them and its not been an issue...I guess the ruling has to come from the top ... our HR department is very unwilling to change anything ..but if the boss says its ok then they go along with it
    M

We cannot have radios in the shop but, I have been wearing a small headphone set under my protective hearing headset. It is connected to an MP3 player. The boss has not caught on yet.

from what I heard, it was similar to marx911s situation, but they decided on a station and play only that one.

Jon

I can have radio in my shop, but like Ken said, I own it.
    The knot in my knickers comes because I'm in a valley and can only get one a.m. station. CDs and mp3s to the rescue

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    “It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged.”
    - - Abraham Lincoln, 16th U. S. President

As the saying goes, My shop, My Rules:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Since I own my own shop we have radio blasted in the different areas. Some times two or three at a time. We don't get regular radio up here in the woods so I have satalite internet and we have internet radio. Beats the static and the commercials. If that aint working so good I have a media server with all my cds ripped to the harddrive. 10,000+ songs cycling around in random is kinda nice too.

Donny

www.whiterivermfg.com

In my shop I got everyone into Radio2, but when the beeb got rid of JY who was on after the ken bruce show nobody could stumoch Jerermy Vine. (he is fine on telly but he drives you nuts with his interview technique on the radio) so then my guys started to listen to Radio1, but this i hated with a passion, especiallay the news which treats you with the same intelegence as the average drugged up teenager, this was(almost as) worse than Jerermy Vine !
    So I then brought in my DAB Radio and now we have Virgin Radio on all the time, but it really needs an external amp and speakers as full volume dosn't to Queen and Cold Play justice.
    I guess I'll have to cut my staff's xmas bonus and by one !

Cheers

Tricky
    *********Now taking on staff in the Norwich area ! both expert and trainee ********

Weekend shifts are good for something , while the boss is away the dogs can play
    the radio runs all weekend.
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I manage a small (<30) shop, and the owner REFUSES to allow radios.
    However... I let night shift blast away, and I pull out the BIG boom box on Saturdays and Sundays... If we have to give up our lives, then we should be allowed to enjoy ourselves in the process!

When I was an employee on the shop floor I found it calming to have background music playing while I was making metal shapes. Now as a business owner, I would never deny my employees of the same right. All bosses should understand that their employees are their best asset and to deny them of the simple pleasures, so long as they are not exploiting them, is only hurting your business. Radios, heaters, after work beer and monthly BBQ's work for my guy's.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Dave I feel much the same and am in the same situation and i put in a stereo thats volume controlled at different areas as some runnning louder machines want it louder and the ones needing to think and concentrate want it quieter. Other than that the only problems i run into is that people group into music types and try for that station. Not much of a problem really. Keep them happy and productive however you can. Be Safe Best of luck

I've been in shops with and without radios. It's been my experience that if you have a small shop without many visitors it's great. As stated above, whatever you can do to make it better for the employees, do it. However, when you start getting into larger shops with larger working areas it can be a problem. Usually these are the type of shops that have frequent visitors coming in and it always seems like someones favorite song comes on the radio so they crank it! It doesn't make a good impression, especially if you are bring around a prospective customer to have radio's blasting, or competitions for a different station going on. This can be controlled by employee discipline but now you defeat what you were trying to accomplish in the first place. I think you are better off without them in a larger shop environment at least on the day shift. Once the boss goes home, as long as the shop stays productive, works for me. I work in a fairly large job shop and do miss the music and talk. The owner dictated the no radio policy for the shop floor based on a situation described above. Since I have an office, I could have a radio if I chose to, but I feel funny having a perk that my guys can't have. If you have radio's now, don't take it for granted and don't abuse the privledge, and it is a privledge!
    Gunner

Most of the time I have my internet radio playing through to the shop area. Since its my shop, no one complains.

Geof

Interesting to read the various opinions. My guys play two or three different radios; pisses me off because they won't play the stations I like but I guess that's my fault for being too damned old. Years ago the old fart I worked for didn't like radios I don't plan on being like him.

Well, started a new job and they allow radios! Woohoo. Too bad I can't change my vote.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

They allow radios where I work, but it has to have a 3 prong plug.

My shop allows radios, there would be a mass mutiny if we werent allowed them. You can always tell when the machinist is in, country being blasted over hard rock and crap. lol

Page 1 of 4 123