587,472 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Powermax 45 help

Hi,

I've been enjoying my powermax 45 for around 6 months or so now I guess, but have started having some troubles.

Arc starting has progressively been failing more and more often. A month ago, it would only fail to start after sitting a day, now it fails after sitting an hour sometimes, and requires lots of purging and several on/off torch cycles to get it to fire. After that it works normally.

I had some moisture trouble, and only recently added a "motorguard" submicronic paper element filter right next to the plasma unit.

It seems to cut normally on short runs, but when cutting lots of parts, I start to have trouble with inconsistent cuts on some parts, and failed arc starts.

Is there anything I should try to cure this? Have I damaged my plasma unit from using inadequately filtered air?

Thanks
    www.steelplinkers.com

I can offer advice that may be causing the issue, but the best advice will come from the Hypertherm tech service staff. The call is free, and they spend their days talking with Hypertherm systems users, and likely will be able to walk you through the issues.

Contact info: Technical Service
    [email protected]
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

Here are a few things that can affect starting of a blowback style torch:

1. Electrode and nozzle....have you replaced these?
    2. Retaining cap may be overtightened....it only should be snug.
    3. Swirl ring...over time these can wear out, which will impede starting. Replace.
    4, Retaining cap could need replacement.
    5. Inlet air pressure too high. Turn Amps knob fully ccw, adjust air regulator while air is flowing using LED pressure indicator on front panel.
    6. If a lot of moisture got in the torch...the torch plunger assembly may need to be disassembled and cleaned. Refer to the Powermax45 Service manual for detailed instructions. Service manual can be downloaded from Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment, click on document downloads, choose the Powermax45, scroll down to service manual and it will download as a .pdf.
    7. Make sure you are using Hyperther genuine parts. Aftermarket consumables have stack up tolerance issues which can cause misfiring.

Jim Colt

Thanks Jim, Ill try those tips.

Im using Hypertherm consumables, and yes, have replaced them recently. I'll try cleaning everything and perhaps order a few of the parts mentioned.
    www.steelplinkers.com

Do you know the PN for the Mechanized Shield cap?
    www.steelplinkers.com

The mechanized shield is 220673. All of the consumables are clearly listed in your operators manual, make sure that you are looking at the mechanized torch cutting chart....when cutting on a machine, regardless of whether you are using a hand torch or a mechanized torch.

If you have misplaced the manual, you can download one. Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment, click on document download, choose Powermax45 and operators manual, you can download a .pdf copy. If you just need consumable part numbers...go to Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment, click on products, consumables, consumables by system, and choose your system (any Hypertherm system including those not manufactured anymore)....you can get a complete consumables listing for hand held and mechanized use.

Jim Colt

Thanks. The site I was ordering parts from didn't specify whether it was a drag tip shield/cap or a mechanized one and I couldnt remember the number. I do still have the manual.

I looked through the service manual online about cleaning the plunger setup in the torch, but it didnt show much other than the exploded view of the hand torch assembly.

I think the recent episode of introducing alot of moisture to the unit caused the starting problems to get worse. I ran a very long job a few weeks back, and I think my old filter system allowed alot of vaporized moisture to pass. After that I ordered the better filtration setup but I guess the damage has been done- or it needs cleaned out.

Also- When I start the unit up in the morning, I turn the amp dial to purge it, and it responds very slow, sometimes 3-4 seconds before air starts to flow. After I cycle the purge setting a few times, it starts to respond better.
    www.steelplinkers.com