586,655 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Axminster Plus CES-626-A2 vs RF40 Mill

Hi Guys,
    OK so I am getting set for the first milling machine. I have been looking at loads but the RF40 and CES-626-A2 particularly.

Initially I was going to go for the RF40's, taken as I was with its large table size and travel (500x230mm), thinking it would be more versatile etc. but then I read this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...9044-rf40.html which says it would would be a pig to convert to CNC because of the round vertical column. I guess the X3 is in the picture but has much less table travel (400x145mm) etc.

Where as the (Axminster Plus CES-626-A2 Turret Mill) seems to be quite nice, still not as much travel as the RF40 (CSE has 400x145mm), and is a fair bit more expensive, but is inverter controlled variable speed motor, and square column etc. A search in not turning much info up on the CSE mill. Can anyone help me with any experiences/ opinions?

I would not be converting to cnc in a great rush anyway, but would definitely want the possibility in the future...
    Bongodrummer - www.FloweringElbow.org

That would be a nice mill. I cant say anything for the brand because I have never seen it before ( Im in the USA). Grizzly sales one just like it. I dont know if you noticed but its a knee mill also. Nothing wrong with that, infact it should be very sturdy.

I havnt seen one of this style CNC. If I had the funds I would look into one myself because I just feel they would work out great. A lot of people look over them because of size and weight. But by the time you put a 40 -45 series mill on a bench they end up taking up just as much room.

IMHO it would be a lot better mill than the bench mills. X travel seems to be something against them but not everyone needs a 40" table. Really they are like a baby version of the Bridgeport, which is about the most versatile style mill there is. Infact I dont really see why this mill is not real populor. Maybe its just the money. This one comes with one shot oiling, coolant, and it says it is hand scraped on the ways. If its what they say then it should be a very nice machine. I feel sure it will be stronger and smoother than any of the bench mills you where looking at.

And your right, a round column mill is not the best route if you want CNC. There are a few of the RF-40 style machines that have been CNCed and they worked out pretty good. But only having a quill to use for the Z axis will hold you back and if you move the column you have to go through a lot to get it setup right with the machine again.

If you get one it would be good to post pics and video of it in use.

Jess

Hi Jess,
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Interesting what you say about the CES 626 looking to be a good machine. Like you say I expect the cost is a big issue.

I have basically ruled out the RF40 because of the apparent consensus view that is is nearly impossible to convert to cnc (tough if there are any descenting voices I would love to hear them, because you seem to get a lot of table travel and a weighty machine (300kgs) for the price).

Looking at the other two, I have drawn up a comparison table that I thought others going through this kind of process may find useful.

Model: -- SIEG X3 Super -- Sxminster CES-626-A2

Base Size: 340 x 430 mm -- 630 x 460mm
    Lateral Table Movement: 145mm -- 150mm
    Longitudinal Table Movement: 400mm -- 370mm
    Nett Weight: 165kg -- 260kg
    Nose of Spindle to Table (Max): 380mm -- 0-345mm

Power: 1,000W -- 750W, 1ph
    Rating: Trade -- Industrial
    Spindle Speed: 100-1,750rpm -- 200-2,250 rpm
    Spindle Taper: 3MT -- ISO 30
    Table Size: 550 x 160mm -- 600 x 152mm
    Table Travel: 400 x 145mm -- 370 x 150mm
    Coolant pump no -- yes

Price £1,300 -- 2,629.50 with stand
    X3with stand £1491.50

So that is quite a big price difference, for something that on paper looks quite similar. I guess the main difference is in the build quality and general sturdiness? My current thinking is to opt for the X3, have more to spend on tooling, clamps, etc. and save a bit of money too.
    Bongodrummer - www.FloweringElbow.org

That is something to think about, tooling, measuring equipment and so on. It will always cost more than you expect. Then there is the learning of what you really need, and what really works for you ( you will waste some money learning).

Mill, quality, travel? There can be a hugh differance in quality and the way a machine even feels, cuts and operates. How long it will hold what quality/performance it does have will also come into play.

X3 performance/ability is what it is. They are cheap, but they will get the job done if it falls within your needs. Accuracy will be all over the place, but again how much accuracy do you need? It will change over its life. A G704 is a much better machine for compairision.

Its really hard to know what we need, and what will work for our needs. There is no doute all these machines will need working with to get better performance. SOme more than others. Even the good ones you can work on ajustments and get them working better.

Travel means a lot, but I find Y travel to be the big killer when it comes to getting a job done. Its not to bad to have to cut a job in half so it works within a X axis, hard to do for the Y axis. Although with tooling plates and alignment pins it can be done.

By far the best small machine out there right now is the G704, but its hard to get. I am not sure why it does perform so much better, but I feel the way they mounted the Z column to the base has some effects. If I am right this says a lot for machines that have a good Z axis mounting/stability.

Do keep us informed on what you do. BTW have you looked into the Optimium mills? They are pricy, but they are proving to be very nice machines. Opti BF20 L Vario I believe is one that might fit your needs. I cant remember if you meantioned these. The BF 30 series is real nice, but it is pricy. Either the 30 or 20 series may be the same as a G704 but built better. Everyone that buys one of there machines find them to be very good.

Jess