587,036 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > calling subprograms on osp-100

Question calling subprograms on osp-100

how do i call a subprogram on this freak of a controller? All I want to do is turn my second postition program to a subprogram and call it up at the end of my first postion, but I constantly get errors. Ie. Subprogram doesnt exist and another one about M02 being in the wrong spot or not existing can't remember which. Please help.

Freak of a controller? They are all pretty easy once you learn the dialects.

Here's what I do on my E100L. Inside the MIN file:

CALL OBSET (B TURRET OFFSET CONFIG)
    M02 (PROGRAM END)
    (IN THE SAME FILE AFTER M02)
    (--------<MACHINE OFFSETS: B TURRET>--------)
    OBSET
    G140
    VZSHX=0
    VZSHY=0
    VZSHZ=0
    VZSHC=0
    G50 S3800
    VZOFZ=V198+[V187+V186*V190]+[V185-V184]
    G141
    VZSHX=0
    VZSHY=0
    VZSHZ=0
    VZSHC=0
    G50 S5000
    VZOFZ=V197-[V187+V186*V189]-[V183-V182]
    G140
    RTS (THIS SAYS END OF SUBROUTINE)

... next sub

Sub names must start with an "O". If the second characters is a number the remaining 3 or less characters must be numbers, no letters. If the second digit is alphabetic the remaining characters can be numbers or letters.

The sub's can also be contained in a .sub or .ssb or .lib but you have to look at how to format your program select when you do. More advanced subject than you need here I suspect.

You can also pass arguments as temporary variables (as opposed to using a machine register). I suggest you read the book on this as it is a very powerful programming tool. From what I can tell this is what really makes Okuma macro different than the others.

Kev

To add to Kev's post

Basic subs - placed at end of a running program
    - The CALL statement must be followed by a space
    - The sub being CALLed must start with letter O, with a maximun of 4 letters/numbers following the O ---OO cannot be used, this is system reserved
    - The sub is placed after the M02/M30 line, & must be in a downward search pattern, ie - the sub being called cannot be defined above the CALL statement ( in the program )
    - There is a mximum size allowed for each sub, it is possible to break up a sub into smaller subs & use CALL statements to join together
    - Maximum of 32 sub definitions permitted
    - The % ( if used for file transfer ) is placed at the end of the program

I have decided to attach a file to show you what I am getting. Superman - If I put the call after the M02 it doesn't read it. I could write a book after the M02 and the control could care less. The exact call commands I have tried are as follows:

CALL O222
    CALL O222.SUB
    CALL 0222
    CALL 0222.SUB
    CALL O222 Q1
    CALL O222.SUB Q1

I am putting them right before the M02.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-11-02_14-03-14_118.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by horst007 View Post
    I have decided to attach a file to show you what I am getting. Superman - If I put the call after the M02 it doesn't read it. I could write a book after the M02 and the control could care less. The exact call commands I have tried are as follows:

CALL O222
    CALL O222.SUB
    CALL 0222
    CALL 0222.SUB
    CALL O222 Q1
    CALL O222.SUB Q1

I am putting them right before the M02.
    No, all subs are to go after the M2 or M30, then they are parse / checked into RAM

Your first CALL statement is correct, it is searching for the sub.
    It is the definition of the sub it is erroring on
    NOTE---subs do also have a maximum size, overcome by breaking into smaller subs

ie
    N99 ...main body
    N100 CALL O222 Q2
    N101 ...
    N102 ...
    M2
    () <--- I use these just to sepeate the subs
    O222 ( SUB #222 ) <--- name of the sub, comments do work here (I put the T# to show what tool is using it )
    your sub body
    RTS <--- to end the sub, & return to continue with N101
    ()
    %

I have OSP700 but would assume subprogram use to be the same. I'd first ask you if you use the program name in the actual sub file. Your "O222.SUB" is just the file name, not the program name. When you open the file to edit, you should have:

O222
    RTS

To add to that, you can have several programs in 1 file. I use several G-code macros, and they are in one file. I use a library type file for this so it is always brought up at start.

The file name is "OGMAC.LIB"......this is only a file name, not a program name

Opening this file will show.........

OG111 <-- this is a program name
    RTS
    OG112 <-- this is a program name
    RTS
    OG113 <-- this is a program name
    RTS

(and so on)

Secondly, if you are calling a sub from a seperate file, the sub needs to be registered in the library. If your sub is specific to 1 main program, there is no reason to make a seperate subprogram file.

Put the subprogram after the main program in the same file. File name can be up to 8 characters and does not need to start with O, but must start with a letter I think.

Program name... (YOURFILE)

inside........

OMAIN <-- main file name
    CALL O222
    CALL O222
    M2

O222 <-- subprogram
    RTS

For program specific subs, I put the subs in the same file as above. You can also have multiple main programs and subprograms all in the same.

such as....

OPRT1
    CALL O222
    M2
    OPRT2
    CALL O222
    CALL O223
    M2
    O222
    RTS
    O223
    RTS

On my control, when I pull up a file with multiple mains, I select the file, put comma and then main program name... MAINFILE.MIN,OPART

don't know if any of this will help you

very useful explanation.
    Would be very nice to have description how to register macros and subprograms to library and how to load library on CNC start

Quote Originally Posted by annoying View Post
    File name can be up to 8 characters and does not need to start with O, but must start with a letter I think.
    Yeah this is quite annoying. We have around 50 CNC machines and do the same parts on whichever machine is free at that time. The program number is listed on the job sheet that comes with the job (we have close to 50000 programs but at least half of those are machine-specific and only available on certain machines). We keep all the programs for each machine in separate directories since most programs have some machine-specific code but we wanted to keep the program numbers the same across all machines for that same part & operation so our job sheets don't need to have 50 machines listed and which program number is used. It works quite well like this as Fanuc programs only use numbers (no letters allowed) but Okuma programs must start with a letter, it won't allow a number-only program name so we need to add a special entry for the Okuma on our job sheets so the operator knows which program to download from our automated PC file server.

I don't suppose anyone knows if this can be set somehow to accept number-only program names? A parameter maybe?

simple database (excel table) can help to handle that - program definition with program names listed for each mahine.
    There is no way to start program name with number on Okuma. File name can be, suppose