586,635 active members*
3,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probe alternatives?

I have a Wildhorse econoprobe, and it has worked very well for what I have invested in it ($100). However, for more complex probe operations (circle center, vise corners, etc...) there are enough operations (x2 for a 2 touch find), that the wildhorse almost always fails one of the steps. This is because there is a small dwell after the edge is found, and the probe manages to remake contact internally (its an NC type), and the operation fails. I have cleaned, dialed in, etc.. many times, even swapped the probe guts, and to no avail.

I see Tormach now has a passive probe for ~$240. Anyone used this?

I just can't justify $1145 for the Tormach probe, so I am looking for alternatives. If I planned to reverse engineer, or had a need for point clouds that would be a different story.

There should be something between my current $100 probe and the $1145 for the top of the line Tormach.

What are you using?

Hi Dbrija,

I cannot help you with your question. But I do have the Econo probe as well and never had a problem with it. I use it mostly for circle center finding and sometimes for vise corner finding and it never failed as you described. May be your unit is defective? May be someone else in here with an econo probe can comment on their experience?
    Christian

Dbrija,

My experience is identical to Christian's, never had a problem such as you have experienced with my Wildhorse probe, and again as Christian, I mostly use it for circles and an occasional corner touch off. I would recommend you talk to the Wildhorse folks, they are very good about helping out.
    Terry

Fixed it!

Did some more digging into software rather than hardware, and tuned out the problem with the debounce setting.

From reading your issues, I would have thought it was a noise problem. What is your debounce setting now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    From reading your issues, I would have thought it was a noise problem. What is your debounce setting now?
    200. It was 1600.

I ordered the probe from Wildhorse and have not received yet. From all posts it appears users are satisified with it. My problem is that I can not get the folks at Wildhorse to respond to emails or calls. Prior to ordering, I called and emailed with questions; no response. I ordered the probe three weeks ago and have not received it. I have emailed and called for an order status; no response. Wondering if other users have had similar problems contacting Wildhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
    I ordered the probe from Wildhorse and have not received yet. From all posts it appears users are satisified with it. My problem is that I can not get the folks at Wildhorse to respond to emails or calls. Prior to ordering, I called and emailed with questions; no response. I ordered the probe three weeks ago and have not received it. I have emailed and called for an order status; no response. Wondering if other users have had similar problems contacting Wildhorse.
    I was reading this thread a few days ago and went to Wild horse-Innovations.com to check one these probes out Wildhorse Innovations - Econo-Probe 3D Probe & Tool Height Setter and saw on the bottom of the page for the econoprobe that it said out of stock. I emailed them on Sept. 12th to ask when they would have more in stock and so far no reply. I guess they have enough customers and don't need to bother with us. Hope they haven't hit your Credit Card yet
    Gerry

Probe was "in stock" when I ordered and they sent email that unit would ship. Guess I'll have to file a PayPal problem report for non-receipt of goods.

No this is not typical treatment for
    Arnie at all. I wonder if you are using the proper email. He is usually very responsive. And I as a customer really like his probe/tool setter. For it's price and accuracy in my world as a home shop it's fantastic. I am sure a Reinshaw would be better more adjustable etc but I wouldn't know how to use it to my advantage.
    Good Luck
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    No this is not typical treatment for
    Arnie at all. I wonder if you are using the proper email. He is usually very responsive. And I as a customer really like his probe/tool setter. For it's price and accuracy in my world as a home shop it's fantastic. I am sure a Reinshaw would be better more adjustable etc but I wouldn't know how to use it to my advantage.
    Good Luck
    I used this address to ask about stock status "[email protected]".
    Do you know of a different one I can try?
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    I used this address to ask about stock status "[email protected]".
    Do you know of a different one I can try?
    Thanks,
    Gerry
    Its a one man show as far as I know. That leads to a number of things that can be happening (i.e. family emergency). I had super quick responses and shipping when I got mine months ago.....

No need to panic.

Calibration

BTW, once you do get your Wildhorse probes, remember to calculate your effective probe diameter (that is, account for how much deflection required to trigger the probe.) I could measure a .5" diameter, and it came out .525, so I set a tool wear of -.025, making the measurement diameter spot on. I could them measure a 1-2-3 block within .001"

It took a lot more than I expected to trigger the probe, but its working fine.

I use MachStandardMill (www.calypsoventures.com) and it has a nice routine built in for doing this, and a ton of great probe routines.

Finally had to file PayPal claim as after numerous attempts to contact Wildhorse Innovations without any reply. Funny they responded to PayPal within a day. Order was cancelled and PayPal refunded credit card charge. Don't know what is going on with the seller. Maybe will try them later. From comments above they appear to give good customer service; however that was not my experience.

Has anyone tried the Tormach Passive probe yet? Tormach mentions it is for casual/hobby use. Why is that ? I have a Wildhorse unit and really struggled with the calibration. I ended up using it as a tool setter and that has turned out really well. It is more useful as a tool setter than as a probe as I have a taster also. I can't believe how much time I save on setups with a tool setter now.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ez3022 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Tormach Passive probe yet? Tormach mentions it is for casual/hobby use. Why is that ? I have a Wildhorse unit and really struggled with the calibration. I ended up using it as a tool setter and that has turned out really well. It is more useful as a tool setter than as a probe as I have a taster also. I can't believe how much time I save on setups with a tool setter now.

Mark
    Its mechanically pretty much a Wildhorse probe with the same calibration (the 3 screws on the bottom). It lacks a contact LED. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I like to know it touched and registered something.

My guess on the casual use thing is probably related to accuracy and repeatability.

What about the calibration gave you the most trouble? I found the key was to make very, very small adjustments. I did get so far off at one point I backed all the screws out and started again. Once you get a method established, its not so bad.

Now that I see how totally simple the probe really is, I might just make my own with a 3/4 shank and free up a tool holder.....

Finally had to file PayPal claim as after numerous attempts to contact Wildhorse Innovations without any reply. Funny they responded to PayPal within a day. Order was cancelled and PayPal refunded credit card charge. Don't know what is going on with the seller. Maybe will try them later. From comments above they appear to give good customer service; however that was not my experience.
    Sorry to hear that. Hate to see a small company with a good reputation go awry.

Wondering if anyone has used imservice's TP-100 probe and comparison to the Wildhorse probe? Imservice has a special going and would like some feedback. Like the size of the TP-100 but it is twice the cost. I will be using it for 3d tracing mainly. Thanks for any comments.

Wondering if anyone has used imservice's TP-100 probe and comparison to the Wildhorse probe? Imservice has a special going and would like some feedback. Like the size of the TP-100 but it is twice the cost. I will be using it for 3d tracing mainly. Thanks for any comments.
    No experience, but it looks like a nice option. It's the same cost as as the Tormach passive, but looks to be more along the lines of the high dollar active probe. Might have to consider buying one.....

Probe was "in stock" when I ordered and they sent email that unit would ship. Guess I'll have to file a PayPal problem report for non-receipt of goods.
    I received an email today 10/17 from Wildhorse-Innovations.
    Here is what it said...

"Econo-Probes are now back in stock. Sorry for the extended out of stock period. The producer of one of the main sub-components was forced to move their operation with very little notice.

Regards,
    Gary"

Did you ever get the one you ordered or did you hear from them about the status of your order.
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Woops, just re-read and saw you did not get your probe and had to get your money back, anyway, looks like they are in stock now