586,805 active members*
8,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Computer Error Messages

Computer Error Messages

Damn, there's alot of people here that need help with this software isn't there?

I just received my packages filled with the last of my new Tormach Mill stuff.

When I tried to load the new SprutCAM software everything seemed to go smoothly, until I tried to open the program.

I got an "Error Message" that just wouldn't go away. The text in the box read as follows:

"Access Violation at address 026A52DD in module 'sckernel.dlll' Read at address 0000000."

The Laptop that I attempted to load this software in is a three week old/brand-new HP Pavilion g Series. It more than surpasses the requirements needed to run the SprutCAM software.

I use this same laptop to run my SolidWorks software and I'm pretty sure SolidWorks has even larger requirements. It works perfectly with that software. I don't run different software programs simultaneously so that can't be the cause of this Error dialog-box.

I'm basically a Mac computer guy. I don't have a clue what's causing this problem. I bought this new laptop so I didn't have to sit in the shop next to my mill in order draw my parts. I wanted to be able to sit in the comfort of my bedroom or living room at night and get some work done.

I ended up having to "uninstall" the software then manually go through my computer files and delete any thing left that had anything to do with SprutCAM; after which I had to do a "Force Shut Down" just to get that dialog box to go away.

I have yet to completely assemble my mill. I just thought I'd play around with this software while I waited for tomorrow to arrive; then this problem reared its ugly head.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with the SprutCAM software? If so, how did you fix it?

I plan on calling their tech support on Monday to see what gives. I was hoping to be flinging some metal chips next week sometime but, this may set me back a few more days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    Damn, there's alot of people here that need help with this software isn't there?

When I tried to load the new SprutCAM software everything seemed to go smoothly, until I tried to open the program.

I got an "Error Message" that just wouldn't go away. The text in the box read as follows:

"Access Violation at address 026A52DD in module 'sckernel.dlll' Read at address 0000000."

The Laptop that I attempted to load this software in is a three week old/brand-new HP Pavilion g Series. It more than surpasses the requirements needed to run the SprutCAM software.

I use this same laptop to run my SolidWorks software and I'm pretty sure SolidWorks has even larger requirements. It works perfectly with that software. I don't run different software programs simultaneously so that can't be the cause of this Error dialog-box.

I'm basically a Mac computer guy. I don't have a clue what's causing this problem. I bought this new laptop so I didn't have to sit in the shop next to my mill in order draw my parts. I wanted to be able to sit in the comfort of my bedroom or living room at night and get some work done.

I ended up having to "uninstall" the software then manually go through my computer files and delete any thing left that had anything to do with SprutCAM; after which I had to do a "Force Shut Down" just to get that dialog box to go away.

I have yet to completely assemble my mill. I just thought I'd play around with this software while I waited for tomorrow to arrive; then this problem reared its ugly head.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with the SprutCAM software? If so, how did you fix it?

I plan on calling their tech support on Monday to see what gives. I was hoping to be flinging some metal chips next week sometime but, this may set me back a few more days.

MetalShavings
    I'd recommend getting the latest from the sprutcam site. http://download.sprut.ru/SprutCAM_7/..._SprutCAM.html

It is the latest production release. They don't let you access the development versions anymore (and I thin that is a good thing).

I had the same issues with the version that Tormach shipped (7.1.1 I think). You have to install it first though as it installs the dongle licensing scheme. I would install off the Tormach disk, do not run the software, and apply the latest version over it. No issues since I did that.

Greetings dbrija:

And many thanks for the input.

I wish I knew more about Windows-Based computers so I could figure it out myself.
    I hate having to rely on others during problems like this because, although the help
    being given is most likely sound, I don't know enough about this stuff to understand
    what it is they're telling me.

I believe you know what you're talking about but, I don't have a clue. A loose analogy would be like giving advice in the Swahili language that would absolutely fix the problem. Unfortunately, the guy being given the advice can only speak and understand English.

Right now I'm hoping that the tech support folks can walk me through a process that will put this set back behind me. Most likely they'll tell me the same thing you just told me. My hope centers around the fact that I'll have them on the phone telling me step-by-step, exactly what to do and how to do it.

Thanks again for your assistance and encouragement. I do appreciate it.

MetalShavings

Frustration

I tried loading this software onto the computer that came with my mill package.

The same thing happened here as well.

I noticed that once the install was completed, the software wants to connect to the SprutCAM website in order to confirm something or other. (I suspect this is why)

Because neither my Laptop or my Mill's computer are connected to the internet it's impossible to connect to the internet location as it's programmed to do. I'm wondering if this has something to do with what triggers the "Access Violation" messages.

I hope there's a Work-Around for this problem. Once I get past this hurdle there'll be nothing to keep me from making my first part.

MetalShavings

MetalShavings
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    I'd recommend getting the latest from the sprutcam site. http://download.sprut.ru/SprutCAM_7/..._SprutCAM.html

It is the latest production release. They don't let you access the development versions anymore (and I thin that is a good thing).

I had the same issues with the version that Tormach shipped (7.1.1 I think). You have to install it first though as it installs the dongle licensing scheme. I would install off the Tormach disk, do not run the software, and apply the latest version over it. No issues since I did that.
    Maybe I can help,
    1st, uninstall SC (I think you already did that) then download (but do not install) the newest version from the link dbrija gave in the post above. (The version that comes on the disk had a history of creating the errors you noted above on some computers.) Now re-install SC using the disk you got with your other stuff from Tormach. Also, dbrija is saying that after you install from disk don't run the program yet but rather install the new version you downloaded over the top of the disk version then run the program.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Force Shut Down just to get that dialog box to go away."

In addition, if you download newer versions in the future and you did an uninstall of SC you need to dig out the Tormach SC disk again and re-install that first so that it will install the drivers for the dongle. If you just install a downloaded version alone after an un-install SC will think you are trying to run the demo, not the full version you paid for as it will not see the dongle.
    I apologize if I am just making it more confusing and not clear as mud :cheers:
    Gerry

I tried loading this software onto the computer that came with my mill package.

The same thing happened here as well.

I noticed that once the install was completed, the software wants to connect to the SprutCAM website in order to confirm something or other. (I suspect this is why)

Because neither my Laptop or my Mill's computer are connected to the internet it's impossible to connect to the internet location as it's programmed to do. I'm wondering if this has something to do with what triggers the "Access Violation" messages.

I hope there's a Work-Around for this problem. Once I get past this hurdle there'll be nothing to keep me from making my first part.

MetalShavings
    Hi again,
    I see you posted again as I was typing my reply above. That's weird that it wants to connect to the internet during install, I don't recall it ever doing that for me.
    Gerry

Hi Metalshavings,
    I sent you a PM
    Gerry

Greetings dbrija:

And many thanks for the input.

I wish I knew more about Windows-Based computers so I could figure it out myself.
    I hate having to rely on others during problems like this because, although the help
    being given is most likely sound, I don't know enough about this stuff to understand
    what it is they're telling me.

I believe you know what you're talking about but, I don't have a clue. A loose analogy would be like giving advice in the Swahili language that would absolutely fix the problem. Unfortunately, the guy being given the advice can only speak and understand English.

Right now I'm hoping that the tech support folks can walk me through a process that will put this set back behind me. Most likely they'll tell me the same thing you just told me. My hope centers around the fact that I'll have them on the phone telling me step-by-step, exactly what to do and how to do it.

Thanks again for your assistance and encouragement. I do appreciate it.

MetalShavings
    One follow-on question..... Did you get a USB dongle from Tormach? They forgot to ship mine initially..... That would cause the software to want internet access to activate the 2 week demo mode.

This is the perfect example of what I meant when I referred to myself as clueless when it came to Windows Based Computers.

The Dongle???

That must be that little black Do-Hickey with the USB connector on one end, and the Key-Fob looking plastic on the other end. Correct? I wondered what the heck that was when I found it among all the computer cables and such.

I just ended up hanging it up on a pin with the multitude of different keys they sent along with the mill. I feel like an idiot. Funny thing is; I was thinking it was some sort of complimentary memory-stick.

When I read the reference to the "Dongle" in the literature I thought it was referring to something software-related that was imbedded in the install CD. It never occurred to me that I had to install the "Dongle" into the USB port and then go through the install procedure.

Is this correct? Do I first stick that "Dongle" in the USB port and leave it there as the SprutCAM software gets installed?

"Dongle." Sounds like childhood slang for a penis. This is the kind of words we made up as kids to pick on one another. Our moms didn't know what we were talking about but we did. "You stupid Dongle." "You Dongle-head; I'm telling mom."

OK I'm getting off track here but, on a more serious note; I'd like to find the person who picked the name for that gizmo and call him/her all kinds of derogatory "Dongle" related names.

If possible, please confirm the correct usage of this "Dongle." I'll check back here again first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks dbrija and Gerry. I'm grateful for your help.

MetalShavings

This is the perfect example of what I meant when I referred to myself as clueless when it came to Windows Based Computers.

The Dongle???

That must be that little black Do-Hickey with the USB connector on one end, and the Key-Fob looking plastic on the other end. Correct? I wondered what the heck that was when I found it among all the computer cables and such.

I just ended up hanging it up on a pin with the multitude of different keys they sent along with the mill. I feel like an idiot. Funny thing is; I was thinking it was some sort of complimentary memory-stick.

When I read the reference to the "Dongle" in the literature I thought it was referring to something software-related that was imbedded in the install CD. It never occurred to me that I had to install the "Dongle" into the USB port and then go through the install procedure.

Is this correct? Do I first stick that "Dongle" in the USB port and leave it there as the SprutCAM software gets installed?

"Dongle." Sounds like childhood slang for a penis. This is the kind of words we made up as kids to pick on one another. Our moms didn't know what we were talking about but we did. "You stupid Dongle." "You Dongle-head; I'm telling mom."

OK I'm getting off track here but, on a more serious note; I'd like to find the person who picked the name for that gizmo and call him/her all kinds of derogatory "Dongle" related names.

If possible, please confirm the correct usage of this "Dongle." I'll check back here again first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks dbrija and Gerry. I'm grateful for your help.

MetalShavings
    LOL, yea it does sound somewhat phallic doesn't it.

And yes, you should have the USB "thingy" in your USB port on the computer you are installing SC to and it should be in there when ever you start up SC to use.

The dongle is a copy protection device, you can install the program on as many computers as you want but you can only run the program on the computer w/ the dongle.
    Take good care of the dongle too cuz I think it is quite expensive to replace.

back in the old days I think there were more software that used "dongles" (hardware copy protection rather than software) for copy protection in the serial ports. I remember using MasterCam 5 were I used to work and it had a little serial port device that was plugged into the back of the computer and that's were I first heard the name dongle for the device. Now with USB the software folks use the thing that looks like a thumb drive.
    Gerry

Oh yea, I just remembered, I used to have to make vinyl signs with a vinyl printer and cutter at my previous job as well and the software for that ran on a MAC and it had a USB dongle.
    So there are some "dongles" in the MAC world too, no offense intended :-)

Here's some more computer ignorance on my part.

Out of curiosity I went through the install procedure again only this time I used the little "Dongle" device.

Everything went smoothly as before but this time when the install was finished the SprutCAM software automatically opened up by itself and there was no error message.

Thinking the problem was solved, I ejected the disk and removed the "Dongle" from the USB port and proceeded to play around with the software a little. A few seconds into one of the tutorials and I started getting that same error-message plastered on top of the SprutCAM screen.

I was able to click the "OK" button and it went away the first couple of times. After about the third time it popped up again it wouldn't go away. Clicking the "OK" button did nothing but make it flicker-away while instantaneously being replaced by another of the same error messages.

This made it impossible to exit the program.

So; the "Dongle" has to remain in place in order for this software to function properly? It's sort of like a key for a car? Without the key, some of the car's features will still function but, the car itself won't be fully functional.

Without the "Dongle," SprutCAM will not be fully functional?

I'll be calling their tech support in a while just to see if any further insight is needed in order to keep this software from giving me any further white-knuckle moments.

Mean-while I'll have to try starting up the SprutCAM software with the "Dongle" in place just to see if I get any more Error Messages.

Thanks again.

MetalShavings

Here's some more computer ignorance on my part.

Out of curiosity I went through the install procedure again only this time I used the little "Dongle" device.

Everything went smoothly as before but this time when the install was finished the SprutCAM software automatically opened up by itself and there was no error message.

Thinking the problem was solved, I ejected the disk and removed the "Dongle" from the USB port and proceeded to play around with the software a little. A few seconds into one of the tutorials and I started getting that same error-message plastered on top of the SprutCAM screen.

I was able to click the "OK" button and it went away the first couple of times. After about the third time it popped up again it wouldn't go away. Clicking the "OK" button did nothing but make it flicker-away while instantaneously being replaced by another of the same error messages.

This made it impossible to exit the program.

So; the "Dongle" has to remain in place in order for this software to function properly? It's sort of like a key for a car? Without the key, some of the car's features will still function but, the car itself won't be fully functional.

Without the "Dongle," SprutCAM will not be fully functional?

I'll be calling their tech support in a while just to see if any further insight is needed in order to keep this software from giving me any further white-knuckle moments.

Mean-while I'll have to try starting up the SprutCAM software with the "Dongle" in place just to see if I get any more Error Messages.

Thanks again.

MetalShavings
    Read my last post again, I said you need the dongle in the USB port to install and to run the software. I just leave my dongle in a back USB port on my desktop computer that I run SC on all the time so it is safe and out of the way.

Gerry

I got a chance to work with the SprutCAM software at length last night. Not one problem was encountered; other than the way the tutorials are laid out and written.

Fortunately I didn't have to make any further downloads of this software in order to get it to work. It seems it was a "Dongle" related issue all along.

I never would have figured it out without your help. Many thanks.

I now consider this episode of software related problems solved.

Now I can finish up my make-shift enclosure before I have to get back to my income-producing work.

MetalShavings

I got a chance to work with the SprutCAM software at length last night. Not one problem was encountered; other than the way the tutorials are laid out and written.

Fortunately I didn't have to make any further downloads of this software in order to get it to work. It seems it was a "Dongle" related issue all along.

I never would have figured it out without your help. Many thanks.

I now consider this episode of software related problems solved.

Now I can finish up my make-shift enclosure before I have to get back to my income-producing work.

MetalShavings
    Glad you got it up and running!

Be sure to watch the tutorial videos on the Tormach site. They are pretty darn good.

Thanks again.

I'm going to have to rely on the video tutorials because the tutorials that come with the SprutCAM software seem outdated and difficult for me to understand.

HollowPoint

Regardless of how well it is running, it is usually best to download and install the latest version of your software.
    If you can figure out how to operate CAM software, you should be able to follow the instructions necessary to download and install the software from the website.

Joe