586,110 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Intersting robotic joint

Hi guys,

I just thought this was an interesting device designed for a robotic shoulder joint.
    http://www.anthrobot.com/omni_III/

I begs to be used in a CNC machine don't you think?
    The vids are not downloadable but you can download animated vids here;
    http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/cmp/courses/robe02w.html
    look at the "kinematic Models" vids

The intersting thing is that there are only 3 diff parts to the thing. Could anyone make something like this?

Check U.S Patent; 6105455 ( there are others relevant)

Comments?

Nice link.

I just saw this on tv a few days ago, but I can't remember what show. The guy that invented this joint has made all sorts of cool "doo-hickeys".

Pretty awesome motion from just some simple linear actuators, eh?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

When is saw this it reminded me of a joint I had seen used in a generator It stuck I my mind as I thought it was really interesting , its using the same movement. don’t known if this clashes with both of there patents? There is a nice animation on there web site [you have to press the start button]. Link http://www.whispergen.com/main/wobbleyoke/

The generator is for a sterling engine which can be installed in a home as a combined hot water boiler/generator and the excess energy is used by a sterling engine to make electricity.
    Zathras I agree i think this has defiantly got some kind of a use in cnc

javadog Talking of linear actuators I saw this which could be good for a joint like this link a how to build you own electromagnetic actuators I don’t known what the contraption they made is for? And how acutely they can be controlled but is they could be controlled acutely they could be a way to make simple linear actuators. I think they must be using some kind of sensors or I mist some thing, other wise there would just be working as solenoids.
    james

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    Nice link.

The video may take a few moments to stream in.
    Not nice to appropriate someone elses bandwidth for show and tell.

Not nice to appropriate someone elses bandwidth for show and tell.
    The fact is they have this file for public display and any one can see it by pushing the link. The only difference is there are now two links.
    The reason they have the video on public display is to promote their concept. I am doing them a favour by generating interest, and you will note there is already a link back to thier site too.

I would have thought that generating interest in a forum with 18,000 CNC members would be great for them. I guarantee their site would have had much more cnc targeted readers than previously.

The next time you want to have a go at me, why dont you send me a PM and not make such a cheap public display.

EDIT: If however the file was not to be viewed by the public and was in a private folder that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    I just saw this on tv a few days ago, but I can't remember what show. The guy that invented this joint has made all sorts of cool "doo-hickeys".

Pretty awesome motion from just some simple linear actuators, eh?
    JavaDog,
    I originally saw this thing on a BBC documentary about Leonardo Da Vinci where they tried to replicate a couple of his inventions. You know the one?
    At one point in the doco this guy was talking and showing this fantastic joint but didn't say much about it and I missed his name. I madly Googled it but couldn't find it without a good keyword. I eventually found it by accident later.

BTW this device does not require linear actuators, the patents show motors driving the bottom links directly (like the ABB linapods here http://www.parallemic.org/Reviews/Review002.html).

If only I had the (any!) tools to build this thing I would give it a try to see if it's rigid enough to be used in a maching application. Characterizing the motion and therfore control might be difficult though.(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras
    JavaDog,
    I originally saw this thing on a BBC documentary about Leonardo Da Vinci where they tried to replicate a couple of his inventions. You know the one?
    Yup, that was it! Really cool show, innit?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    The only difference is there are now two links.
    It is not the same as two links.

Your embedded video uses bandwidth every time the thread page is viewed whether or not someone wants to view and denies the vendor an opportunity to promote themselves. It’s like cutting the medallion out of a beef loin and throwing out the rest of the cow.

It would be OK if you had asked and received permission from their webmaster.

I understand you think you are doing them a favor.

Exclamation Relax!

CNCadmin has revised the rules for hot-linking: it is not to be done. I have removed the both the link and certain comments that seemed contrary to the atmoshere this site strives to maintain. If you feel compelled to continue, please do it privately.

Evodyne