587,067 active members*
3,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Stepper motor dissasembled, now not working

Stepper motor dissasembled, now not working

Title pretty much sums it up.

I disassembled the x axis stepper motor on my microkinetics 1340 lathe to trouble shoot a problem.

The original problem ended up being the motor control board, which I replaced.

I was told *after I had already assembled it incorrectly* that stepper motors need to be assembled a certain way, obviously I didn't assemble it the correct way.

The motor will spin when there is no belt attached, but if I hold it with my fingers it will stop. Basically any load at all and the motor can't turn.

Can anyone help?

It would be much appreciated.

If anyone can help me fix this I will send them a free cnc machined lightsaber with led and blade.

It may be that without a proper 'keeper' to replace the rotor, once the rotor is removed it has become de-magnetized, I have never found this with servo motor dis-assembly but
    others have reported it with steppers.
    If this is has happened it will have rendered it useless.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi
    Sorry to hear your problems but i can tell you this the problems will only continue with MicroKinetics problems I have one and all i have are issues read my post.
    I had just recently gave this 1340 another chance i have always done maintenance on it regularly.

My new problem whis is and old one also is the x axis ball screw falling off again because the limit switches failed last time the ball bridge machine screws i guess they didn't use lock washers or they used only one and the other 3 just went into the twilight zone. This time they switch failed and the whole slide X axis last set of ball nuts just fell off. Thankk god i had the chip tray clean this is going to be another 3-4 hour job putting them all back in adjusting them.

Be very cautious about using the controler for more than an hour it will freeze and you'll have to reset everything

This is 1 14 thousand headache wish i bought the Bridgeport Romni now never again micro:boxing:

Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by saberforge View Post
    Title pretty much sums it up.

I disassembled the x axis stepper motor on my microkinetics 1340 lathe to trouble shoot a problem.

The original problem ended up being the motor control board, which I replaced.

I was told *after I had already assembled it incorrectly* that stepper motors need to be assembled a certain way, obviously I didn't assemble it the correct way.

The motor will spin when there is no belt attached, but if I hold it with my fingers it will stop. Basically any load at all and the motor can't turn.

Can anyone help?

It would be much appreciated.

If anyone can help me fix this I will send them a free cnc machined lightsaber with led and blade.