586,682 active members*
2,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > UK G0704 CLONE CONVERSION & WORKSHOP BUILD
Page 5 of 13 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Us british get all the deals heh digits!
    Finnish this Bud then Ill have a look......

cheers
    Yes, for some reason the world treats us like £1 < $1, but there are advantages to shopping locally - you really don't want to know how tedious it is if you have to return stuff half way around the world.

Turned down a pen barrel so I could use it to unscrew the ballnut onto, thought I'd just pop the nut onto the mill and use a slitting saw to cut that one side off....WRONG
    Dear god that nuts hard, all my slitting saws are thin and all they do even on very small cuts is skip up the side as your cutting into a slope.
    I'm not proud and know my limits so think I'll just drop it off to the machine shop who's doing my saddle pocket, it will probably take them 5 mins, I don't have an angle grinder to try that either so seems the sensible choice

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Turned down a pen barrel so I could use it to unscrew the ballnut onto, thought I'd just pop the nut onto the mill and use a slitting saw to cut that one side off....WRONG
    Dear god that nuts hard, all my slitting saws are thin and all they do even on very small cuts is skip up the side as your cutting into a slope.
    I'm not proud and know my limits so think I'll just drop it off to the machine shop who's doing my saddle pocket, it will probably take them 5 mins, I don't have an angle grinder to try that either so seems the sensible choice
    Thats good info Rikk and well done for posting mate!
    Thats what I was going to do with mine?

Ive just bought for this area:
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

with this saw:
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Is that what you tried? if so what thickness saw did ye use?

Do you think a thicker one might do if the one i bought is along the lines of yours.

I knew these may be tough as nails so had in my mind to "tease" each cut with loads of cutting fluid thinking if i got through the surface it would get easier?

The one I used was 50mm x 0.5 x 32teeth, it's thinner than yours but then yours is a bigger diameter so probably about the stiffness.
    I tried with 0.5mm cuts and it just rode up the slope, you could probably mill a small flat at the entry point which would help, slitting saws make my arse clench anyway for some reason so I didn't bother trying that
    When my hosting site gets it's life sorted I'll post the pic up.

When my hosting site gets it's life sorted I'll post the pic up.
    Ye can bang pics up rikk by using attachments on here

When you post click the paperclip at the top and select "browse" and "upload"

cheers for the reply

did you not read my post on how i machined my nut.

I used a grinding disc in a dremel on my machine. those slitting saws are only good for cutting soft materials like plastic or ally. Steel they blunt and heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by fragger6662000 View Post
    did you not read my post on how i machined my nut.

I used a grinding disc in a dremel on my machine. those slitting saws are only good for cutting soft materials like plastic or ally. Steel they blunt and heat up.
    I did fragger and should have asked questions (chair)

Not got a dremel but dont mind buying one if i have to.
    Got a 18v dewalt grinder though... whats ye thoughts if i use that, or de ye recon too big mate?

A large grinder is not good as it generates a lot of heat where the small kurf on the dremel minimizes heating and reducing the chances of changing the properties of the steel.

those shots were at 20000rpm and 0.2mm cut at 150 - 200mm min i think. I stopped after 6 passes to let thing cool.

This mill is not a G0704 clone. It's a Opti BF20L clone/variant.

I got the same machine and the original manufacturer is Sumore. I ordered the long table and R8 spindle.
    Sumore Industry Co.,ltd.

I'm also modding my unit into CNC. I got a different design for the x ballnut. I use the Gten brand from Zapp and it will be mounted on the side of the saddle. There is a cup on the side plate where the nut fits so it does not reduce the x movement.

so you are doing the same as my conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by fragger6662000 View Post
    so you are doing the same as my conversion.
    I have not seen your conversion. I just have to mill the side even and maybe a 1mm groove for the screw. The space between the table and saddle is really small even for a 16mm screw and nut.

Had a friend around yesterday who wanted me to teach him how to build his new pc so took advantage of the extra body and stripped the mill down.

No real issues apart from getting the little keys out of the ends of the leadscrews, heat and bashing won the day though

Hmmm, this is about to get interesting. Just had a break from work (I work from home) to have a look at the saddle a see where everything fits.
    The hole for the X axis nut to fit in is a LOT larger than the G0704's, in fact the ballnut fits in easily, problem is the mount that I got now obviously doesn't work.
    Might be worth having a look underneath your's before stripping it to see if it's the same as mine.
    No need for machining the pocket now but have to try and work out how to get this mounted up with no mill to machine parts....oh the fun 8)

After the above revelation I've been having another look and the holes for the pins on the X axis end plate don't line up either.
    This means lining it all up is also going to VERY interesting.
    Also the table seems to be slightly larger as it overlaps the edge of the end plate.

After the above revelation I've been having another look and the holes for the pins on the X axis end plate don't line up either.
    This means lining it all up is also going to VERY interesting.
    Also the table seems to be slightly larger as it overlaps the edge of the end plate.
    WOW?

Ill check mine out now and get back

Hi Rikk

Ive just checked mine for you/us

Mines not stripped yet however ive just pulled the handwheel off and poped the backet over the screw aligning the bolt holes up by eye and mine looks nothing like your picture and looks like its spot on and all aligning correctly.

I forget if you got your mill from SPG like mine?

The screw holes and bearing all line up fine, it's just the pins, it's not far so might be worth breaking out the callipers.

If yours is exactly the same as the G0704 then bonus

Mines an Optimum BF20L, supposedly the original that the others are cloned from, I did kind of expect them to be all the same though.

Oh well, if it proves a problem I'll just have to buy a larger hammer 8)

The screw holes and bearing all line up fine, it's just the pins, it's not far so might be worth breaking out the callipers.

If yours is exactly the same as the G0704 then bonus

Mines an Optimum BF20L, supposedly the original that the others are cloned from, I did kind of expect them to be all the same though.

Oh well, if it proves a problem I'll just have to buy a larger hammer 8)
    Thats the ticket - a big hammer :boxing:

Ye mine looks ok on alignment, screw, bolt holes, pins and neat to top of table - thank god!

Swings and roundabouts - i guess ill have other issues !!!

Page 5 of 13 34567