586,719 active members*
3,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 20 21011121314
    Thanks to Miata2k for all of the help identifying issues with F-Engrave (on and off forum).

I have posted a new version F-Engrave V1.22 on my web page.

Changes in Version 1.22:
    - Fixed three bugs associated with importing DXF files
    - Fixed bug associated with cleanup calculations
    - Changed minimum allowable line spacing from one to zero (adds more flexibility for users).

(I have to think more about how to keep the bounding box info displayed. That feature is no included yet.)

Scorch

Stop the CW/CCW Insanity!

F-Engrave V1.30 is now available Here: F-Engrave Download

Here are the highlights:
    - F-Engrave now can determine which side of the loops in a DXF design need to be cut when v-carving. Previously the input needed to be formatted so that the loops in the design were clockwise or counter clockwise to determine whether the inside or outside of the loop was cut.

- A new “V-Carve Accuracy” setting. This new setting can be used to ignore small features in a design. This is especially useful for small DXF design imperfections which result in bad v-carve tool paths. You can also get some speed improvement by increasing this value allowing F-Engrave to ignore tiny features.

A side note: I plan to continue to post updates here but I am also posting them and some other stuff on the Scorch Works Blog and on the Scorch Works Facebook page.

Good luck,
    Scorch
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

My bad...

The link is there. Your browser may have the page cached so you might need to reload the page (F5).

@Vogavt I'm glad to see my naming convention is consistent enough that you could make your own link

Scorch
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Oops!

So it is!

I'll remove the direct link. This way folks will see the whole page at your site instead.

I just thought I could help you out in the interim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

F-Engrave Version 1.32

F-Engrave Version 1.32 is now available on the F-Engrave Web Page. This release includes a few minor items that I have had backlogged for a while. The items are listed below.

- Added limit to the length of the engraved text included in g-code file comment (to prevent error with long engraved text)
    - Changed number of decimal places output when in mm mode to 3 (still 4 places for inches)
    - Changed g-code format for G2/G3 arcs to center format arcs (generally preferred format)
    - Hard coded G90 and G91.1 into g-code output to make sure the output will be interpreted correctly by g-code interpreters.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

I found a few linx..

I think there are many more..

one of them autocad dwg with hatched areas..

next is a dxf

third is an ai file..

sure you can open ..
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wanted to thanks Scorch for the programs. Still in the build stage of my machine but have been playing with F-Engrave and am impressed! I have checked out countless free and otherwise programs and yours is one I'll stick with. Just want to encourage you to keep doing what you do.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

Thanks, Good luck with your CNC build.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Hi Scorch

My latest little project with F-Engrave thanks for great program, the border I got from craftmanspace.com, free patterns, borders and 3D models etc.

Awesome Chinook!
    It looks to be pyrographed. Or did you do the wood burning after the v-carving?

I've been thinking about setting up something for that purpose to enable a hot tip to do that sort of thing. But there are so many variables to consider.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks Vogavt nice to share.

I discovered F-Engrave about a month or so ago, it is the most intuitive and simple Cam program I have come across and only found this thread about a week ago.

No pyrography it's all calved with V-Calve in F-Engrave I used a 45deg v cutter with 2mm dia gave +- 2.4 mm on Z. I then raised my Z touch off +- 1mm above the work plane and cut the Cleanup Path with the same 45deg V bit and no V Cleanup. The resultant calved timber is left rather rough so on rubbing with varnish the roughness soaks up a lot more varnish and is left a lot darker.

So there's no staining? Just pure varnish?

To clarify: deeper cuts (-2mm) for outlines and shallower cuts (-1mm) for cleanup from the zero of the work surface. Correct?

Correct and using the same v bit for cleanup
    Cheers

F-Engrave V1.33

I uploaded version 1.33 of F-Engrave, it is available on my web page. (F-Engrave 1.33)

Changes in Version 1.33:
    - Added option for scaling input image height as a percent of the input values (rather than imputing the height as a length unit). This new feature should help people that combine more than one image together in a project. The new option is "Set Height as %" which allows scaling the input image by a percentage rather than setting a size(in or mm) for the height. Setting the height % to 100 will result in the image being the same size as the imported DXF file.

- Fixed batch mode...again. (I should really check that it is working before each new release)

** Thanks to Captain Chaos for the helicopter picture posted below I always like to see things that people have cut using my programs. **
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

F-Engrave With GRBL

For users of GRBL I put together a Blog Post describing the issues with F-Engrave and the settings needed to generate g-code that will work with GRBL. Below I listed the settings needed (without the long explanation from the blog post).

F-Engrave settings needed to generate g-code compatible with GRBL:

- Select the “Disable Variables” box in the F-Engrave Settings window

- un-select the “Enable Arc Fitting” box in the F-Engrave Settings window

- Use F-Engrave Version 1.34 or higher
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Re: Open Source V-Carving

There's just one thing I'm not getting.

How does one determine what size a carving is going to be?

I see the option for setting it the text width to 100% --- 100% of what?

There's a boundary information field at the bottom on the screen.

Oh and the text width at 100% is normal size of character. Greater than 100% would stretch the characters out (elongate it) and less than 100% would compress them.

Quote Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
    How does one determine what size a carving is going to be?

I see the option for setting it the text width to 100% --- 100% of what?
    One ore thing to add to Vogavt's answer: The text size is driven by the text height input. For a given text height the width of the text is determined by the shape of the characters. Changing the width input deforms the characters shape to be narrower or wider.
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Page 12 of 20 21011121314