586,655 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How to Maintain Eccentricity with a Mate

How to Maintain Eccentricity with a Mate

I need to find a way to maintain a .0067x.0067 eccentricity from a screw and its mating part. It would be great if you could mate the threaded hole to the screw and mate the screw to the cartridge in a way so that it maintains the eccentricity when I move the cartridge. Looking at the mates I can't find anything that would do such a thing. Any ideas?

You could always modify the screw head such that it's eccentric to the thread axis and mate to that. Or you can create a new axis that is .0067x.0067 from the thread axis and mate that axis to the hole's axis.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt

I can't really picture your part, however would the Cam Mate work for your needs?

The pocket (green) has a built in interference to force the pocket up and back into to cutter body. I'd like to be able to adjust the diameter of the cutter by simply by changing the distance between the center of the cutter and the back wall of the slot that holds the pocket. I can't find a way to maintain the eccentricity between the screw, threaded hole in the body and the mounting hole in the pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutter.jpg  

So when you assemble this thing, are you going to put shims between the green things and the backs of their slots to set the cutter diameter? Those counter sunk screws are going to want to pull the green things so that the holes (in the green things) are concentric to the threaded holes in the body. What happens if the shims vibrate loose during use?

Anyway, to do what you want in the model I would mate the screws concentric to the threaded holes in the body and leave them there. Mate the green things to their slots with a "width" mate (sides) and coincident mate (to the floor of the slots). Then use a distance mate from the back of the slots to the green things to set the cutter diameter. OR, instead of mating the green things to the backs of the slots you could turn on the temporary axes and set a distance mate between the axis of the threaded holes and the axis of the holes in the green things.

C|