586,105 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in LinucCNC??

I am in the process of designing a minimalist control panel for LinuxCNC/EMC2 and need to create a couple custom keyboard shortcuts. The reason I need to do this is because I am using the interpreter board robbed from a usb keyboard to provide key inputs for my control panel. Most all of the standard key mappings are fine except for feed override. I ant to have 2 keys for feed override, a "Feed Override +" and a Feed Override -". Each of these 2 buttons would result in a change in Feed Override of + or - 10% from the current setting. The way the standard mappings are I would need 10 keys and that would still only get me from 0% to 100%. Anything beyond 100% doesn't have any keyboard shortcut.

Basically what I want to do is use the "e" key to increase feed override and the "d" key to decrease it. Is there a way that I can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Figured it out

Well it took little bit to figure out but is actually pretty simple. I wound up mapping the "%" and "^" keys for incrementally increasing and decreasing the feed override. I figure I'll post what I did so that someone else that wants to do something similar can see how I did it.

The attached file has the details

Hope this helps someone out.

John B
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oh. By the way, I also modified the numbers so feed override can go to 150%. Those are the 150 numbers you see there.

edit: I modified it once more so that instead of a hard number like 150, it uses whatever EMC2 believes the maximum override rate is. See new attached file in post #2 above.

Very nice, thanks for posting!

Just to be clear, what you have done is for the feedrate when running the machine, not jog speed?

Jog speed increments is I would want to include in to my next modded keyboard.

Edit: Just realised that , and . already offer that so no problem to get that working with the keyboard.
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVee View Post
    Very nice, thanks for posting!

Just to be clear, what you have done is for the feedrate when running the machine, not jog speed?

Jog speed increments is I would want to include in to my next modded keyboard.

Edit: Just realised that , and . already offer that so no problem to get that working with the keyboard.
    Yep. What I listed was for feedrate override. Jog speed and jog increments already have 2 button shortcuts for increase and decrease.

I am currently working on the design of my control panel. The attached file is what I have so far. Everything on it can be accomplished using the keyboard, so should not be a problem just using the keyboard circuit I liberated from a USB keyboard. I still want to reduce the number of buttons a bit though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

linuxcnc custom keyboard

keyboard images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails keypad3X.jpg   opkey3X.jpg