586,980 active members*
4,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline axes control problem

Sherline axes control problem

I received my Sherline 2010 mill and 4410 lathe package back in April (2012) but apart from some testing I haven't been able to get the mill to work. I suppose I have the same issue with the lathe but I have put that aside until I resolve the problem with the mill.

The package came with the 8760 controller, a new Dell Optiplex 390+, Windows 7 and Mach 3 demo.I purchased the Mach 3 licence from Artsoft and I am using all legit versions of CAD/CAM software packages....so no funny stuff here.

These are the problems I encountered:

a) initially mill seemed to run correctly but after a while the Z went 'minus' all the time. Didn't matter if the Gcode called for Z+....it went Z- I am talking about the physical machine movement here, the Mach3 screen showed the correct direction

b) next and all subsequent tests showed the same issue with X, Y and A... one direction only

c) with the help of David of discountcampus.com (from whom I bought the Sherline) we tried all kinds of ports/pins and configuration settings without any positive results. With approval of Sherline, the controller box was sent back to California and a new or repaired box was returned to me. Cost me US$ over 200 in shipping unit back then paying the duties, taxes and customs brokerage on replacement. Still the same problem. Axes moved in one direction only.

d) Again, with the approval of Sherline I sent the 8760 board only (not the entire box) and a replacement was shipped shortly afterwards.....no change...same problem..

e) David offered to send me an extended controller box on loan CNC Extended Box + Switches Includes Extended Box + Switches + all needed cables. to see if his theory is correct. He suspected that the 'extended' box would rectify the lower/weaker quality of newer manufactured parallel port signals. This 'weaker signals/newer machines' made me think about an 6 year 'unrefined'/generic old computer I had sitting around. I loaded Mach3, hooked it up AND IT WORKED so I didn't take David up on his offer.

Unfortunately the old computer's motherboard gave up he ghost . I had an other old computer but this one did not make a difference. Same problem with the axes directions. I then went and bought a PCI parallel port card for the old computer. Same problem X,Y,A move only PLUS and Z only MINUS but as before, the Mach screen shows correct direction.

As to electrical supply, we have 110/220V 50Hz here but I have 2 other CNC machines working perfectly. One is a little DSP controlled 400mm x 400mm x 100mm and the other is a big, Syntec controlled 1524mm x 3048mm x 200mm and they work without issues. The only problem I have is with the Sherline.

I am sure David and I will again spend time on the phone during the coming week but I wonder if someone on this forum had the same problem and found a solution to share.

Any suggestion(s) would be welcome.
    Norbert

Since it worked correctly when you switched computers, it sounds like a computer-related problem. These are difficult to diagnose, since there are so many different computer models out there, and various issues can occur with each one. But I wonder - is this latest computer's LPT port set to EPP mode? That's the only reliable setting for doing this sort of thing, but it's often overlooked in the troubleshooting. To change (or check) it, go into the BIOS (usually by holding down the Delete key on startup, but watch for messages flashing by about entering setup) under "peripheral devices" (usually) navigate to the LPT (parallel) port mode, and make sure it's set to EPP. Although you'd think it's just as good, "EPP and ECP" mode doesn't work - or never has for me.

If that doesn't help, check your 25 pin parallel port cable for continuity. You need one where each pin on one end is connected to a pin on the other end, but there are lots of cables that leave some of the pins unpowered, which would certainly cause an error like the one you've got. The other thing you might try is buying or borrowing an older computer like the one that worked for you, and seeing if substituting it solves the problem.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Andrew.

Quite frankly, with the original, brand new Dell shipped with the Sherline, I never checked the parallel settings in the BIOS, and for the second computer, the old one that did work with the mill, I didn't check if the BIOS was set to EPP either because it worked 'as is' albeit for a short time only. I do know thought that the address was 378h .

But I did try EPP 378h for the 3rd (2nd of the old computers) without getting correct results. Then, with the PCI parallel card installed, I tried it too but setting the parallel port to EPP did not allow me to change the port address to that of the address I got for this new card (address obtained via device manager but I can't recall right now). The BIOS EPP address allowed was either 378h or 278h.... no manual input of other address possible.

When I installed the PCI card it showed as LPT3 and I changed it to LPT2 as the only other parallel port was LPT1 on motherboard. Maybe I was wrong in renaming the PCI card? Is it possible to rename the 'onboard'port LPT2 and the PCI card LPT1 and then, I guess 378h would be correct??
    Norbert

That sounds like what happened to us when we tried installing a PCI parallel port to run a machine. Unfortunately, we never got it to work, so you might have to find someone more knowledgeable in these matters if you want to pursue that. If you did find another old computer, enable the motherboard LPT port in EPP mode. Then see if you can switch the Mach3 settings to match its port address.

Andrew Werby

Well, Andrew, it seems the only alternative I have is to buy an other computer. I won't be easy though because no one here sells computers with parallel ports anymore and to build one, it seems like all motherboards sold nowadays have PCI-express slots and I can't find an pci-express parallel card.

Now I have to search for a computer that will accept the generic 'High Speed Single Parallel Port PCI Card' I bought the other day! :tired:
    Norbert

Go to E-Bay. You can buy a complete used name-brand computer, with parallel port, and Windows XP, Vista or 7 pre-installed for under $100.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Go to E-Bay. You can buy a complete used name-brand computer, with parallel port, and Windows XP, Vista or 7 pre-installed for under $100.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    If I were in the States, that's hat I would try but by the time I pay shipping to Barbados, customs broker, etc. etc. I am better off buying new locally.

This morning I picked up a new Dell with a PCI parallel card (none available anymore with on-board port) Dell came with 64 bit Win7 but seller re-installed 32 bit Win 7 because the 64 bit installation couldn't see the PCI parallel port.... well, the thing didn't work with the Sherline controller. All axes go in one direction only. Fortunately I got computer with the understanding of 'No cure, no pay' .... Computer will go back on Monday. I wish I could do that with the Sherline.

Back to square one.
    Norbert

PROBLEM SOLVED

Make sure you get the USB cable with this buffer....
    CNC4PC
    you will also need an additional (short) parallel cable. I had an antique going back to the days of those blue ZIP diskette drives
    Norbert

Congratulations! Did this board fix the problem with your new Dell with the PCI parallel port, or did you send that back and use another machine?

Andrew Werby

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Congratulations! Did this board fix the problem with your new Dell with the PCI parallel port, or did you send that back and use another machine?

Andrew Werby
    Hi Andrew, Yep, the board worked with the original Dell, Optiplex 390 with parallel card (not on-board port) shipped with the Sherline package. Computer was shipped from NY and Sherline mill and lathe came from California hence were never tested together.

Anyway, the setup works now and maybe others with flaky parallel ports can benefit from this device too.
    Norbert

i thought you mentioned it didnt work for the dell computer with the pci parport card?

Quote Originally Posted by bebob1 View Post
    i thought you mentioned it didnt work for the dell computer with the pci parport card?
    The original Dell (the one that shipped with the Sherline) did not have an 'on-board' parallel port but came with a p/port card. This setup did not work as supplied but now works with the added CNC4PC

But before David (discountcampus.com) proposed this particular buffer and I actually got to try it, I bought a second Dell. This is the one I purchased locally with the added PCI parallel port. It did not work either so I send it back. I never got to try the buffer on that one because I hadn't received it yet.

I tried the buffer on other computers I had hanging around and all work now with the Sherline.

So, I feel reasonably sure that this buffer device would have worked with the 2nd Dell as well.
    Norbert

You didnt buy the dell yourself right? But its not supplied by sherline? Sherline also offers a CNC ready computer and a CNC driver only.

I assume you purchased the dell from a third party supplier that also supplied a sherline cnc driver? Instead of the sherline CNC ready computer?

Yeah it could be the sherline driver needing higher votlages to work properly (5V) and maybe the dell with the power saving features was only supplying 3.3V.

The problem is that Sherline, although they have a network of dealers, refuses to let us sell their computer along with the rest of their equipment. I've remonstrated with them about this to no avail. Everything else in their catalog I can sell without a problem, but the computer with the drivers installed is only sold direct - go figure. So whoever sold this mill had to source a computer someplace else, and probably just guessed at one that would work, leaving our OP to sort things out at his end.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Oh, maybe a warranty issue? Or maybe they routinely update their CNC computer so its better to keep it in house so upgrades get refreshed on all new sales immediately than to have to deal with retailer selling old models?

I think dell motherboards specifically their parport have huge issues in general at least for EMC2. Ive seen a couple of people complain over in the emc2 forums. I think getting a mini itx system with the intel atoms with onboard parport is a good and cheap investment (think john or andy or somebody from emc2 forums mentioned since he personally uses it too). Maybe you can look into it for your store too. A new itx system with the case probably comes to ~$200 these days.