586,713 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > One dust shoe design better than the other?

One dust shoe design better than the other?

I have seen plenty of dust shoe designs, and have used a standard one on my last machine. I will be making one soon, and I wanted some input on picture 2.

Picture 1 shows what I have used in the past, and it works great unless you are at the edge of a sheet, and the brushes are hanging in open air, losing suction.

Picture 2 shows a smaller brush perimeter, connecting to a box similar size of picture 1. Obviously the box is sealed, so that the dust flows from inside the brush perimeter, into the box, and out of the extraction port.Seems like it would work a lot better close to the edge of a sheet. Is there any disadvantage to this design?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dustshoe1.jpg   dustshoe2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    I have seen plenty of dust shoe designs, and have used a standard one on my last machine. I will be making one soon, and I wanted some input on picture 2.

Picture 1 shows what I have used in the past, and it works great unless you are at the edge of a sheet, and the brushes are hanging in open air, losing suction.

Picture 2 shows a smaller brush perimeter, connecting to a box similar size of picture 1. Obviously the box is sealed, so that the dust flows from inside the brush perimeter, into the box, and out of the extraction port.Seems like it would work a lot better close to the edge of a sheet. Is there any disadvantage to this design?
    The one with only the spindle area would work, however because you lowered it to the collet depth you risk damage if you have clamps. I had the same issue and now i have to go back to the full shoe approach because my clamps would sometimes get moved and/or bent by the shoe. if you use screws or vacuum then your set and the smaller shoe would then be superior.
    Making chips, day by day

additional information

Hi,

Check out this thread for additional information.

Using picture 2 with an adjustable height control and different length brushes that are held on by magnets is a possible solution.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...dust_boot.html

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]