587,006 active members*
2,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Novakon Torus Pro (NM-200v3.1) Assembly and Modification Thread
Page 2 of 6 1234
    Thanks for sharing the info on oil and coolant. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    I use this coolant Koolmist 77

I use this way oil Vectra No.2

An enclosure doesn't have to be fancy, just need to keep chips off the floor. The stock tray does a good job of keeping them in the tray WHILE CUTTING. The problem comes when you clear the chips and coolant with compressed air.

I'll be upgrading the coolant system as well in the near future. Trust me you guys will love it . No more aiming coolant lines.

Are there pneumatic power drawbars that will fit in the small space beside the motor, available for this machine?

MRM

See this post for one possible solution to redirect the coolant where you want it. Thread date 06-22-12, Post date 08-03-12

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...uild_part.html

Azam

Another coolant option is Blazo-2000-CF (clorine free for aluminum). Great stuff.

John

I also use Mobil Way oil and Koolmist 77..

My experience with the coolant enclosure and system is this:

1) The Novakon supplied pump doesn't have much pressure and the flow isn't great for moving chips. OTOH I don't need anything to keep the coolant within the mill.

2) The drain pipe in the table is very easy to get blocked with swarf, as are the t-slots in the table. I have to keep clearing them when the machine is running or else let the table fill up. I have a slight incline to the right to force the coolant to flow towards the drain end.

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    I also use Mobil Way oil and Koolmist 77..

My experience with the coolant enclosure and system is this:

1) The Novakon supplied pump doesn't have much pressure and the flow isn't great for moving chips. OTOH I don't need anything to keep the coolant within the mill.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_16?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1352686131&sr=1-16&keywords=3%2F4+HP+pump"]That's not a pump, this is pump[/ame]

:bat: Insert evil laugh here. Give me about two weeks......

That really sucks, right down to the last 1/8" :devious:

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMachining View Post
    Azam

Another coolant option is Blazo-2000-CF (clorine free for aluminum). Great stuff.

John
    John,
    Thanks
    While on Ecno site to order the oil, I checked their coolant stuff. I saw a product with 5 gallon packing and of course I took the easy route to put it in the basket. Product details was lacking the dilution information but if ratio is similar to other product (1:32), I think I am set for some time. I expect long interval between machine usage and water evaporation and changing the dilution ratio will be an issue but will not worry about this for now.
    I thought coolant is commodity and going from one product to other is not a big deal but seeing your message, now I do realize that there is more into it. If not satisfied with what I ordered, I will try other products. Will order small quantity and will stick with the one I am satisfied with.
    Learning ....

... They change to red when triggered. Max travel of the machine with limits enabled is 21.5" x 12.5" (X & Y). ....
    What ever happened with 25" x 15" travels claimed in the specs!?

Quote Originally Posted by zaebis View Post
    What ever happened with 25" x 15" travels claimed in the specs!?
    The specs are correct. The stated limits are with the limit switches enabled (21.5 x 12.5). The travels are 25 x 15 with them disabled; don't ask me how I know .

Y Axis Tram Issue Resolved!

Something kept nagging me about the Y Axis being so out of cal, so I re-tightend all of the bolts and re-calibrated my instruments to rule them out. Well it worked (figure 1) :wee:! I removed the shims and the Torus trammed within 0.001in, stock! I faced some AL and it came out silky smooth (figure 2).

Guys, this is a great mill. I would suggest getting one before they are all gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0513.JPG   CIMG0517.JPG  

Enclosure Progress

Had my first real operation using the Torus Pro and could not be happier. Used a fixture plate for a short run of 36 joiner plates (figures 1-3). Threw them all into the tumbler for and hour to get a textured look (figure 4).

Results (figures 5 & 6). Damn! within 0.0005in without calibration (i.e. stock). The caliper I was using is only guaranteed to 0.001in so it could be closer.

Also, get a set of Tormach tool holders (figure 7) if you don't have some. I will probably never go back.

The enclosure stock just came in so stay tuned (figure 8).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0502.JPG   CIMG0508.JPG   CIMG0519.JPG   CIMG0512.JPG  

CIMG0532.JPG   CIMG0533.JPG   CIMG0522.JPG   CIMG0525.jpg  

enclosure

i would like some information on the enclosure you are building. with pictures if you will.
    I am looking forward to getting my NM 200 from Igak on here as soon as his Pro comes in.

It's good to hear that your y axis wasn't so bad after all. I'm very curious about the jaws on your vice and wondered if you'd share some info on those.

Ray

Any chance of posting the video?

How much Tormach tool holder cost? Is this quick change where you store tool height info in mach and do not have to do z zero at tool change?

Can you explain fourth picture .... Aluminium parts are in some solution with stones? What does this process called and I will look it up.

Thanks for sharing.

Well done, please keep posting.

Regards

Had my first real operation using the Torus Pro and could not be happier. Used a fixture plate for a short run of 36 joiner plates (figures 1-3). Threw them all into the tumbler for and hour to get a textured look (figure 4).

Results (figures 5 & 6). Damn! within 0.0005in without calibration (i.e. stock). The caliper I was using is only guaranteed to 0.001in so it could be closer.

Also, get a set of Tormach tool holders (figure 7) if you don't have some. I will probably never go back.

The enclosure stock just came in so stay tuned (figure 8).

Quick Change Tool Holders

azam1959

Yes, the quick change tool holders allow you to touch off once and store the measurements for future use.

Novakon lists the Quick Change tool holders on their web store. The price ranges from $23.00 (set screw style) to $49.00 (ER-20 style). For what its worth, the bulk of my tooling is QC. The convenience is well worth the cost.

John

Link to store:

3/4
    3/8″ Set Screw Holder | Novakon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Tray-1.jpg   Tool Tray-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rayoung View Post
    It's good to hear that your y axis wasn't so bad after all. I'm very curious about the jaws on your vice and wondered if you'd share some info on those.

Ray
    Google Mitee-Bite vise jaw system. They are phenominnal. The mitee bites hold stock without parallels and only require 0.06in of "bite" to do it. I bought them from western tools for $200. Not in front of PC. Will post pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    Any chance of posting the video?

How much Tormach tool holder cost? Is this quick change where you store tool height info in mach and do not have to do z zero at tool change?

Can you explain fourth picture .... Aluminium parts are in some solution with stones? What does this process called and I will look it up.

Thanks for sharing.

Well done, please keep posting.

Regards
    That device is a Layman Shell Casing Deburrer. Machined parts have many sharp edges. The deburrrer removes the sharp edges and the finish depends on the medium. I use the green traingle type for a coarse type finish. I sometimes use crushed walnuts for a polished look.

The video didn't turn out too well. Ill post it, but the camera looks like crap.

That device is a Layman Shell Casing Deburrer. Machined parts have many sharp edges. The deburrrer removes the sharp edges and the finish depends on the medium. I use the green traingle type for a coarse type finish. I sometimes use crushed walnuts for a polished look.

The video didn't turn out too well. Ill post it, but the camera looks like crap.
    Perhaps I do not understand deburring process, I thought deburring is done via some bit rotating at the edges, never thought this can be accomplished by submerging machined parts in some solution and rock. I will search for shell casting ... Learning ... Thanks a lot.

John,
    Thanks for the info. I am very slow and it will be months if not years before I will scratch my head and curse z zero time consumption before each tool change. I will wait for Novakon Torus Pro power draw bar, and at that time I will decide on best use of little resources I have. But who knows, may be something will click and I will start making fast progress on machining and cnc journey. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    i would like some information on the enclosure you are building. with pictures if you will.
    I am looking forward to getting my NM 200 from Igak on here as soon as his Pro comes in.
    Hey Ram, check out Post 10.

The path I chose isn't cheap, about $300-400, but I wanted quality. I'll post a BOM this weekend.

What thickness lexan are you using?
    I just picked up a sheet of 1/4 inch in prep for my enclosure. I really like the look of the extruded channel.
    Thanks for the info and keep us up to date with the build .oh and take plenty of pics please
    ray

Page 2 of 6 1234