586,655 active members*
1,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Startup help for a new CAMworks user.

Startup help for a new CAMworks user.

Hey guys,
    Is there a standard "flow chart" for the process of programming a part? I got something like one from the support guys but it seem lengthy. As I sat in the training class and crammed all I could, I realized that I had to relate the names of the process / features to what I learned them called in FeatureCAM. (Which worked well for me in the past.) I will be doing both milling and turning processes. So ALL input is appreciated. The milling dept. has HMC with 4th axis and 2.5 & 3D VMC machines. Turning consists of dual spindle with dual and triple turret machines. All have Y axis and live tools with some jobs using live angle holders. Not to mention compound slide machines. So you see, my plate is full.

Thanks in advance.
    Janos

After hitting "send" I realized that I won't be able to respond to questions until thursday since I am going out of country. So I will answer any replies then.

Janos

Janos,

I'd have a look at the tutorials for mill and turn they are found in the CAMWorks manuals folder from the start menu

These do not give specific enough questions to how to PROPERLY set up a database.

I have an ENORMOUS tool crib in which I need to get input 3,000+ items. All tools and holders have a item number and bin location. I want the final post as well as the setup sheet to display the tool name and location info.

The service provider said "Just go to the default tool crib, search down to whatever tool is close enough to what you want and edit it. Then rename it." This is not a easy thing to do because of the fact that the provided Microsoft Access is not complete enough to properly run the database search and sort tools. And that would mean that EVERY TOOL would have to be put in ALPHABETICLY from the start. F#@K THAT!! This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I am not entirely pleased with the quality of answers as well as the attention to the fact that part are not being made (money either) as long as this software is not functioning properly. I hope that someone that has some answers see's this.

Have you had any Training with your VAR? If not I would highly recommend getting on a training course, I understand that the machine being idle and you not using the software is wasting money, but so is buying software and "figuring out how to use it on your own"!

I presume you are wanting to put every single tool you have in your shop into your tool crib?

Just create a tool crib, tell it it has 5000 stations and start inputting tools,

highlight over the 0, type 01 select the tool type (face mill, flat end mill etc) then click on the hammer and spanner icon to get the list of already created tools, find one that is close to the one you want, right click on the grey box to the far left and select "copy" scroll to the very bottom of the list right click on the grey box on the far left and select "paste" you can then modify the cutter to your wishes (lengths flutes, protrusion etcetc,) and give it a good description,

5/32 cobalt end-mill Location = slot 2001 etc etc etc

the access Geometric provide is a cut down version, a freebie, it does state in the SolidWorks and CAMWorks Solids Pre requisites that it requires "Microsoft Office" which of course would come with a "full" version of access.

The number that CW give it in milling is not available in turning. The number it is in line is what it is. As for now I am concentrating on getting turning up and going. We got the Microsoft Access up and running so now it will search and sort. There is so much to get going before I can even make an attempt to make a part, that is the most aggravating part.

[QUOTE=jame5m28;1211583]

the access Geometric provide is a cut down version, a freebie, it does state in the SolidWorks and CAMWorks Solids Pre requisites that it requires "Microsoft Office" which of course would come with a "full" version of access.[/QUOTE/]

As far as access is concerned, had the guy that came in and set up CW in ALL of our computers told us that it was a necessary part of the deal and that we should get it I wouldn't be bent a bit. But after getting things started and realizing that functions didn't work properly, and then they tell me that "That is just how it works." Then to later find out that wasn't the case.
    As far as training. Yes, we went thru the four days of class showing the guys that were new to Solidworks how to do basic parts. However during the classes the instructor only briefly touched on how to make a tool in turning. And completely left out the fact that a well organized database is key to getting things to run smoothly. It seems like the solid professor videos are more geared toward the AFR side if making a part. And that to needs the database to be even more complete than if you were doing thing manually. It only lightly touches on how to do things in manual mode.
    I do understand that there is a learning curve with all OS's but it shouldn't have to be a guessing game with the tech support guys. That is just my 2 cents.

Janos