587,006 active members*
2,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to config A axis

I built cnc router that has 4th axis that moves spindle in some angle. Can anyone tell me how do i configure that axis, i only know that thing about in general config to make it angular and to set pins, but how i configure it in motor config and is there anything else about this axis that i should know?

I wonder the same question! And also how to make the drawing to be able to use the a axis?

The A axis is the one that's parallel to the X axis. In the most common configuration; you put a rotary table mounted vertically on one end of your mill bed and a tailstock on the other. It rotates the workpiece like a chicken on a rotisserie. You typically zero to the center of the axis in Y and Z.

If the rotary axis tilts the head from side to side or spins it, that's given a different letter designation, depending on which plane it tilts in. If it's rotating around an axis parallel to the Y axis, then it's called the B axis, and if it's rotating around one parallel to the Z axis it's called the C axis. It can also tilt forward and back around the X axis; this would also be an A axis move. Most 5th axis heads are BA or CA.

It's also possible to have a mill with the "rotisserie" arrangement I described above, as well as a rotating and tilting head, but I'm not sure how you'd explain all that to Mach3...

Here's an article with some more information on this subject: 5-axis machining

To use these various configurations, you have to think in terms of 3D models, not flat "drawings". It takes some fairly sophisticated CAM software to figure out how to derive toolpaths that cut a 3d model effectively, tilting either the workpiece or the tool to reach the surface as needed. It's especially complex if you're trying to do this with all 5 or 6 axes in motion, rather than indexing into one position or another and moving in 3 axes only.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Your problems wont be with mach3, it'll work fine providing you give the correct worm ratio and your microstepping is set correspondingly.
    You'll need Mastercam's machine definition manager to program a 3d contouring cut.
    This is a kinematic model of the machine, a 'stick figure' of it's basic structure.
    Then you are 100% ready to go.

Other software can do it, but i forget how after a long absence (surfcam,powermill,hyperform)

Try CNC Wrapper..
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!