Someo of you might remember I built a manual milling machine several years ago using the x2 mini mill head with r8 taper.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now the machine has served me well but has some issues

(1) slop in the x and y axis

(2) no drill press ability

The slop in the x and y axis I have had for years and I am embarrased to say that I just discovered that the table had an adjustment for back lash, so the y axis I got most of the backlash out but the x axis is down to .010 from .025. So some anti back lash nuts might be in order. I haven't got to use the mill yet since I adjusted it so we will see on that one.

Now this leaves us with drilling and this is where I could use some ideas. I currently have to crank the head up and down to drill and its a pain in the pita.

I had one idea to add kinda of second axis to the z axis and basically mimic the x2 drilling abilty. But I realized that the position of the drill press handle was not possible. It would hit my mount for the motor controller and I am not moving the mount, I like it where it is.

So then I thought I could convert the quill of an x3 into the head of the x2. But this brings the cost in around $350 not counting the labor involved.

So either I can leave it the way it ism buy an x2 for drilling and be done with it. Or anybody else have an idea?