586,651 active members*
2,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Adjusting Gecko 540 Trimpots on CNCRP 2448 (NEMA 23) RP drive Engaged or Not Engaged

Adjusting Gecko 540 Trimpots on CNCRP 2448 (NEMA 23) RP drive Engaged or Not Engaged

Re-posting this with a "Need Help!" prefix.

I am reading through Gecko's set up info regarding the Trimpots on the G540.

What would be easiest for me (as I am a one man show today) would be to disengage the RP drives (and the Screw on the Z), run each motor using Mach3 (holding down the appropriate arrow keys) while turning the various Trimpots on the Gecko board. This way I don't have to worry about crashing the machine into itself, while i am listening and adjusting for that "Sweet Spot" Gecko mentions.

Wondering 2 things:

1. Is this a viable way to adjust the Trimpots or do the motors have to be "Under Load".

2. Do I still have to worry about shorting out the Gecko board with my screw driver (I don't have a plastic one handy) or did Gecko update the boards design to fix this (they make no mention of it in the directions I have).

Thanks for any advice on this.

Paul

You can make a plastic screw driver. I have used a typical jewelers screwdriver on other Gecko's, but those pots are not as deep as the 540 ones are. There is a chance that you will poke something you shouldn't. If you cannot, then at least cover the shaft of your screw driver so that it will not contact the side of the aluminum housing when poking around inside.

Turn your jog rate down to a very low percentage. Very low. You can still hear the sound. This would be a good time to learn how to use the MIDI input on the second screen. Once you know a few standard parameters, it can be very beneficial.
    Actually adjusting it takes less time than getting the screw driver into the slot. Mine were at a good spot pretty much. I went to both extents and then right back to about where I started.

You can do it under load or not. You can do it while the parts are sitting on the bench. It is a set by ear thing.
    Lee

Thanks for the advice Lee, it is appreciated.

Paul