Take the LMS solid column mill for example, other parts of the world it is an SX2 or what not, but with a solid non tilting x2 based mill, is there a reason no one has put a spacer between the base and the column to raise the height. The head does not go all the way down with the vise and tool holders installed so in practical terms raising the flange should not be a problem for at least another few inches it would seem. I have seen all manner of plates used to swap columns and bases. I am unclear why this is not done on this mill with 4 bolt flange. A double sided flange is simple as well.

If the mill has another 2 inches of Z it would be very desirable for that once in a while drilling or what not. Obviously if you want to fly cut at the top of the column there are better options but I can see needing to drill something once in a while or what not. Anyhow adding a 2" spacer seems like not a bad idea and easy to do. It is clear it is a bad idea since it is not done.

Anyone thought of this and realized it is not feasible care to share that reasoning?