586,655 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Setting Up a Drill Bit Model In SprutCam

Setting Up a Drill Bit Model In SprutCam

After viewing several tutorials on how to model a typical Drill-Bit in my SolidWorks CAD software I finally got it done. I thought that all that was needed now was to import it as an IGES file into my SprutCam software in order to create some G-Code.

Actually what I modeled is meant to be a Spiral-Fluted-Reamer. In the past I've made Straight-Fluted-Reamers with ease using SprutCam and the 4th-Axis on my Tormach mill. Unfortunately for me, by adding the Spiral-Flutes on my Reamer/Drill-Bit, the same procedure I used to make my Straight-Fluted-Reamers just doesn't work any more.

Can one of you more experienced SprutCam guys or gals give me a clue on how you would go about creating tool paths for a generic Drill-Bit model?

With the Straight-Flute-Reamers I've made in the past, I've used the 2D Contouring feature under the "Finishing" icon to create my tool paths. With the Helix or Spiral flutes added, I can't get the 2D Contouring feature to cut along the length of the flutes. The best I've been able to do is to use the "Rotary-Milling" feature; and that doesn't cut from front to back or back to front. In the simulations, it causes the end mill to cut in any of a number of ways except for the full Back to Front cutting while the 4th-Axis simultaneously rotates to create the Spiral or Helix grooves that forms a Drill-Bit.

A little help please.

Thanks in advance.

MetalShavings

Re: Setting Up a Drill Bit Model In SprutCam

Hey Metal Shavings,

I don't want to recreate the wheel here so I suggest you watch our favorite Russian go through this 2 part series where he combines rotary machining operations and 2D contours. It helped me a ton while manufacturing some rotary molding equipment. It was great and actually explained some of the settings that were mysterious to me before- I'm not thinking in Russian yet, but I'm getting close Comrade :-).

Start with this one

4ax milling - YouTube

and then view this one

4ax milling2 - YouTube

I also liked the pocketing demonstration

4ax pocket - YouTube

I enjoy watching Eric's tutorials and these tutorials because they compliment each other well.

I came across these videos posted by this fellow before posting my inquiry on this forum. I've watched and re-watched them a few times over but, I still can't get it to work for me. This same guy has a video that deals specifically with what looks like a drill bit/auger-bit that I've viewed several time but there too, I just can't get it to work on my Drill-Bit-Model. I'm kind of wondering if it's my SolidWorks model that may be causing the problem.

On the video links you've posted, it appears that this gentleman is working with a five axis milling machine. I don't know if it makes any difference but, I'm working with a 4-Axis milling machine.

I haven't given up just yet. I know it's possible to machine a drill bit using the fourth-Axis on my mill. I just need to figure out how it's done.

MetalShavings