587,003 active members*
2,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 24 of 107 1422232425263474

Re: OmioCNC report

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Giving up for the moment, going to hang a little arduino off three outputs and binary encode 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 ... 8/8 power on three output pins, have the arduino generate the PWM signal for the laser power supply and throw a lag in there so it doesn't switch on straight away. But I guess it's time to start looking at an alternative to the whole Mach3 / YOOCNC combination which is going to be able to cope with what I want down the road - up to 5 axis with a possible spare or two for auxiliary spindles, laser power etc. Ethernet connection and maybe, possibly an embedded board running it (maybe some kinda ARM core running linuxCNC with the isolated I/Os and junk on board). I dunno. Tastes like it could be damned expensive.
    There's a thread called "$32 CO2 laser controller" in General laser engraving / cutting machine discussion, where someone has used a RAMPS controller and modified the 3D firmware to work with a laser cutter. That may be something of use for you.

Thanks Stigoe.

I have a RAMBo in my 3D printer which might also work, too. But I'm kinda looking for something that will do both machining and lasering in one box and setup. Mach3 might still be worth pursuing apart from these lag issues, LinuxCNC is something I'd like to explore but it definitely doesn't support USB breakouts and I'm not sure about the ethernet ones either. Fair enough, given that it's design is based around being right in the middle of the control timing loop. So if I replace the YOOCNC breakout with something else I'd like to have at least enough stepper (or servo) control outputs to run the mill and laser, and have it capable of running Mach3 and maybe something else too.

Not asking much, am I?

Really happy with the 3D capabilities of the x6
    Bloody great bang for buck

2.2kw spindle vs 800w
    limit/home switch vs none
    usb handheld controller
    5.5" vs 2.5" z
    40v stepper motor voltage vs 24v
    hiwin linear flat rail vs round
    usb vs parallel(not sure if this is an advantage or not, if wanting to use linuxCNC)

Is it worth the $2500usd vs $1100usd?

6040 $1125 shipped
    3 axis CNC router 6040 Z S65J, 800w water cooled spindle CNC milling machine with free cnc clamp-in Wood Router from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

X6-2200l $2558 shipped
    X6-2200L-USB - CNC Desktop Engraver -omiocnc.com

I'm stuck in some kind of endless decision...

I said "yes", you might not.

The spindle power, stepper power, power supply output gives it the oomph to work happily with aluminium all day. The rails, switches and heavier gantry give it the extra stiffness and accuracy to let this machine do some decent work. For me, the idea was a machine that worked straight off for light duties but which also contained all the hardware I needed to DIY a steel frame machine if I wanted to make something heavier. So far, I've had zero reason to start such a project.

The USB interface means you're stuck with Mach3 but it also means I could run on a laptop out of the box, which was nice to get up and running. Allow yourself another USD175 for a Mach3 license or whatever you need for a different controller/BOB if you have to run LinuxCNC - you'll need 3 or 4 step/dir outputs and a 0-10V output for the spindle, plus homing switch inputs (3 of). If you're going to cut metal you'll be grateful for a couple more outputs to drive coolant later on.

I wouldn't get their 4th axis, it's rubbish. If you're going to head down that road though, order an extra stepper driver installed and ready on the control box so you can just plug it in.

If all you're going to do is cut timber and plastic then the cheapo might be enough to get the job done but I do like the versatility the stronger machine offers.

Polymorphism if you get the cheaper one you will kick your self what you think you wont to do now is not what you will wont to do when you get it, if you catch the CNC disease you will need the treatment what is a very special pill it is called a bigger stronger faster machine, this is the only treatment available
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another thing to consider: it looks like it's twice the price but, by the time you organise all the other crap you'll need to support the machine, that thousand and a bit bucks will not seem so hard to swallow. Things like work holding, tooling, collets, more tooling, an air compressor, more work holding, a decent bench and some kind of enclosure, coolant setup etc etc the list goes on. I had a lot of this when I started from a manual mill, but I still blew another thousand bucks easy on ancillary stuff to make the machine useful.

Yes, I could have bought the cheapo machine and spent the extra on all the extra gumf. But jeez I'm glad I didn't.

You take the hit on the more expensive machine, you forget what you paid for it within 12 months and enjoy using it.

You go cheap on something like this, you'll forget what you saved within 12 months but you'll wish you'd paid more every time you walk past it, not using it because it just doesn't do what you want.

Thank you for the great replies! I'm sold on the Omio.

Now I just need to figure out if it's worth just $150 more for their new version, with offline control:

X6-2200 - CNC Desktop Engraver -omiocnc.com

I know it seems to be untested at this point. I'm not sure how the workflow would compare vs connecting my laptop via usb to the original version.

It's a small difference in price, but a big change in how the machine will be used.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

I have an old laptop in my shed which lives with the machine. I do my CAD/CAM work in the house on a different computer, drop the TAP/NC files onto a thumb drive, sneakernet them down to the shed and run them there. So for me the workflow would be identical.

The embedded box will spare you having a computer sitting in a dusty environment, so it could save you a bit of cash and keep things simple and self contained.

On the other hand, from "standard" Mach3 I've made a number of config changes, added brains to do timing, added macro commands to do some other stuff. It's very tweakable. Reckon you'd be able to do that with an embedded box? There's a massive community of Mach3 users out in the wild if things go wrong and you need help. When I bought my OmioCNC machine they were extremely helpful but, even now, Lance seems to have taken over customer support from Grace and others and getting help for configuration or enhancement is like pulling teeth. Not the best environment to be playing with something new, I fear.

I'd leave this box alone, myself.

My only thought other than the customization that Dharmic has mentioned is the ability to change a file at the machine. I like to air cut above the work piece to get an idea what my feed and speeds look like before I cut. Mach3 means I can open the Gcode and edit it then and there rather than heading back inside to the computer. Although you could also have a computer standing by in case you needed to do that. I'm guessing the new system can't edit a file on the small panel, but maybe it can? Tough decision!

Hi guys,
    My name is Peter, I am from the Netherlands, I own a X6-2200, 4-axis, for about a year now.

First thing I want to say : what a great thread about "our" machine, it is becomming a knowledge-base by now

I also was a little concerned about what machine I had to buy.
    After reading the tread I learned that I was fortunate with my machine, no problems at all ( besides a bend limit switch )
    My communication with OMIO ( Lance and Grace ) was fine, before and after I ordered, so no problems there.

Last week I set up my 4-th axis for the first time, and I was wondering if I have to make any changes in the settings of MACH3 ?
    I played around with it ( made some wooden chips of course ), but I am under the impression that I have to change some settings, the axis is turning very slowly in Rapid moves ( Feed moves seem to be fine )

So my question is : is anyone of you guys using the 4-th axis, and what settings have you changed in MACH3 to get it working properly ?
    If there is anyone out there that would be willing to share their XML-file, would be appreciated very much !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arc-Light View Post
    My only thought other than the customization that Dharmic has mentioned is the ability to change a file at the machine. I like to air cut above the work piece to get an idea what my feed and speeds look like before I cut. Mach3 means I can open the Gcode and edit it then and there rather than heading back inside to the computer. Although you could also have a computer standing by in case you needed to do that. I'm guessing the new system can't edit a file on the small panel, but maybe it can? Tough decision!
    Good point. And when I want to do a simple surface or shape, Mach3 means you don't have to mess around in CAM at all, you can do it at the machine.

Without a whole lot of doco on what their little panel can do, without a whole lot of people already having one and providing feedback about whether it's any good or even works properly, it's a bit of a stab in the dark vs something well known.

petje66: my 4th worked straight out of the box. Have you tried running the 4th manually? Home the machine, set all axes to 0, then G01 A300 F3000 and see what happens. The axis isn't quick but it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds or so to do the spin...

Quote Originally Posted by petje66 View Post
    Hi guys,
    My name is Peter, I am from the Netherlands, I own a X6-2200, 4-axis, for about a year now.

First thing I want to say : what a great thread about "our" machine, it is becomming a knowledge-base by now

I also was a little concerned about what machine I had to buy.
    After reading the tread I learned that I was fortunate with my machine, no problems at all ( besides a bend limit switch )
    My communication with OMIO ( Lance and Grace ) was fine, before and after I ordered, so no problems there.

Last week I set up my 4-th axis for the first time, and I was wondering if I have to make any changes in the settings of MACH3 ?
    I played around with it ( made some wooden chips of course ), but I am under the impression that I have to change some settings, the axis is turning very slowly in Rapid moves ( Feed moves seem to be fine )

So my question is : is anyone of you guys using the 4-th axis, and what settings have you changed in MACH3 to get it working properly ?
    If there is anyone out there that would be willing to share their XML-file, would be appreciated very much !

Thanks
    last week i was tuning my own diy cnc which using mach3, i changed setting in the motor tuning.
    the pulse signal stay the same and, just change the velocity and the acceleration, then save the axis settings.
    then my machine can do the rapid move.
    i dont think you ask for a xml file can help you.
    because most of the machine using different parts, like motor spindle etc.
    the best for you is contact your suppiler let them set it for you. or you just gonna set by yourself.
    but mach3 is pretty easy to use, so i dont think this gonna be a problem for you.

best regards,
    Jack
    Shandong Yishun CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd Email: [email protected]
    Whats App&Mobile: 0086-137-9314-0576 Skype: YSCNC05

Talking Re: OmioCNC report

Dharmic,

thanks for the info here. Im looking at the x8 2200Attachment 321136

they say shipped to Adelaide 4K . the mini computer thing in the power supply looks interesting (orange box) , I'm not too sure about it , they said they can swap it to the basic black driver box and save $100 us.

I'll be following your progress.

cheers

Heh, I wondered who that was jumping on my jewtoob feed last night

If they are saying 4K that's probably machine, shipping and exchange rate. Don't forget to add DHL's custom clearance fee (about $190?) and GST ($400). With something this size you are likely to get belted with both. I certainly did.

Don't follow my progress making an orange/black box - once you go black you can't go back, apparently. If anyone does buy an orange or manage to find out whether it's a controller that's been around a while it'd be very interesting to find out whether it is indeed a sweet, sweet orange or if it's more like a lemon!

Heh, I wondered who that was jumping on my jewtoob feed last night

If they are saying 4K that's probably machine, shipping and exchange rate. Don't forget to add DHL's custom clearance fee (about $190?) and GST ($400). With something this size you are likely to get belted with both. I certainly did.

Don't follow my progress making an orange/black box - once you go black you can't go back, apparently. If anyone does buy an orange or manage to find out whether it's a controller that's been around a while it'd be very interesting to find out whether it is indeed a sweet, sweet orange or if it's more like a lemon!
    Orange is the new black mate. Haha. Im lucky iv got a good friend that knows allot about cnc so ill get him to have a sus. But you can buy a laptop from MSY for $300 and then you have a useful new laptop and a cnc computer.

Yeah i was hoping for more cnc stuff on your yt chan . Just found the scuba kung fu master haha.

I think with the **** exchange rate, the 4k is just cost plus shipping . Its 3750 + 160 sea freight .

Ive wanted a cnc mill for a long time . I want something big and strong and reliable. Although my mate is pretty keen to make one in the 1m^2 bed size i might make 1 at the same time.

Quick update. Couldn't get it going yesterday but tried again today with a new install of Mach3 and hey hey, it's all running.

A little bit of a mismatch between their tool setter documentation and the on-screen settings available in Mach3 but nothing a little mental arithmetic can't sort out.

Only testing with a fibreboard floating floor offcut at the moment but 3000mm/min feedrate seems perfectly fine with a 0.5mm depth of cut.

Still need to see how it goes with aluminium, and plug in the 4th axis for a bit of a play.

But so far, so good. I'm quite impressed with how this is going.
    Hi, sorry to dig up this old post, but can you elaborate on the mental arithmeticyou did to set up the tool setter? No dice for me.

Sadly no, over a year on now and all I remember is there was a bit of futzing to get it to work - and it has ever since. The version of Mach3 you're using may have something to do with it, especially if it's an older copy of dubious origin you might look at getting a newer version.

Hi Streken, are you referring to the Z height setting tool? If so I agree Omio's documentation is not correct. First input the script for the setting tool to the auto tool zero button as per there instructions. Then to get it working with the correct height adjustment for the setting tool height, input the height of your setting tool (measure with calipers) into the Gage Block height on the left side of the offset page and hit the set Z button.

Thanks guys, I got the Z height tool working, after I damn near pierced it with a drill Now I just need to get the Gage Block height numbers to stick and figure out the best way to perform toolchanges.

Page 24 of 107 1422232425263474