586,069 active members*
3,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Programming/OSP 5020L

Programming/OSP 5020L

How do I ensure that my tool doesn't crash into my live center when I start my program? I program with the IGF and not G-Code.

Re: Programming/OSP 5020L

Or maybe I should ask, how do I set the relay points to go around the center?

the barrier setting procedure is in the operation manual.
    programming with IGF doesn't mean your tools will crash, or not crash. if you set the work zero correctly and program it correctly then the tool shouldn't be anywhere near the center.
    setting the safety barrier can help to save your center, but the correct thing to do is learn how to use the machine properly and how to program it correctly.
    if you have the barrier set and the tool tries to hit the center it will save it, but the machine will not be making parts so you will still be no-where.
    reading the operation and programming manuals in full and learning proper operation including running in single block with slow rapid for the 1st part will get you further.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    the barrier setting procedure is in the operation manual.
    programming with IGF doesn't mean your tools will crash, or not crash. if you set the work zero correctly and program it correctly then the tool shouldn't be anywhere near the center.
    setting the safety barrier can help to save your center, but the correct thing to do is learn how to use the machine properly and how to program it correctly.
    if you have the barrier set and the tool tries to hit the center it will save it, but the machine will not be making parts so you will still be no-where.
    reading the operation and programming manuals in full and learning proper operation including running in single block with slow rapid for the 1st part will get you further.
    I found the section in the operation manual for setting the tailstock barrier and did that. However, the tool is still going to crash. What am I missing? Tool interference area maybe? Entering an M21? I only know how to program in IGF.

Where are you "Okuma Wiz"? I know you can help me out here.

Now you coaxed me out of the shadows...

The IGF has a parameter that deals with the approach direction. It is built just for that purpose. I do not have a 5020 IGF book, but if you take a look in the IGF parameters you should be able to find it. It will force it to approach in Z first and then approach in X rather than simultaneously. The other thing to do is to adjust your Variable limit on the machine so that it retracts in Z no more than is needed to cut the part. This will make your approaches safe and not "go through" the tailstock.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Now you coaxed me out of the shadows...

The IGF has a parameter that deals with the approach direction. It is built just for that purpose. I do not have a 5020 IGF book, but if you take a look in the IGF parameters you should be able to find it. It will force it to approach in Z first and then approach in X rather than simultaneously. The other thing to do is to adjust your Variable limit on the machine so that it retracts in Z no more than is needed to cut the part. This will make your approaches safe and not "go through" the tailstock.

Best regards,
    Thanks Okuma Wiz! I was able to go into the IGF parameters and describe my tailstock to the machine. However, I found that the easiest way to clear the tailstock is by changing the Z location of each tool index location. It shortens the cycle time too. I'm learning something new each time I run the machine. Thanks again!