586,713 active members*
2,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Fadal 6030 Control Retrofit Requirements and Recommendations

Fadal 6030 Control Retrofit Requirements and Recommendations

I'm looking to replace a dead control on my Fadal 6030 1993 model with DC brush servos. I have a few questions for the forum .
    I would like Full 5 Axis capability , ( I have the Equipment ) but its not needed yet . I want Rigid tapping and Probing ( Renishaw Probe came with machine )
    I want to retain the drives and motors for now ( They were new when I Purchased the machine )

1. Should I use the OAK Board or the MPU11 and the GP4IO.
    2. What Kind of I/O will I need for the Tool Changer and the High /Low Spindle Speed? ( 2 Speed Belt Drive ) This machine already has
    Western Reserve Controls I/O Boards installed and Hooked Up from the previous Control Retrofit . Can I reuse this I/O ?
    3. Fadal VMCs have no Limit Switches , could I use soft limits and homing ? Or should Switches be installed ?
    4. How much programming am I going to have to do to make all of this work?

Sorry for the long winded post !

Re: Fadal 6030 Control Retrofit Requirements and Recommendations

1.) I'd use the Allin1DC (and two DC1's for the 4ht and 5th axes) Going with the Allin1DC give you new DC servo drives that are digital and easy to tune and are reliable.
    2.) The Allin1DC has alot of i/o built in for a typical cnc mill, and to add a typical ATC to that all you do is use the PLC add-on board called t he "PLC Add 1616"
    3.) Yes you can use soft limits.
    4.) Everything on this machine is fairly straight forward. the hardest part will be to modify a stock ATC PLC program to match your particular PLC. You can do it yourself or hire someone to help you out. I usually hire a tech to do it for me so i can concentrate on other aspects of the install. Custom PLC programs cost anywhere from $100 to $500 depending on you machine and how good you define the system for the programmer.

Attachment 294656

here is a link to a smaller fadal centroid retrofit that the owner decided to go with ac brushless motors.
    Fadal Parts Repair Service 3016 VMC CNC Vertical Machining Center Retrofit upgrade.

I don't think the All in 1 board will work , my servo are 40 Amp Glentecs and the All in 1 only has 20 Amp output.
    I spoke with the Retrofitter that did the 3016 , and he is going to email me some data and component info for the Retro.

one way to tell....can you get a photo or two of the servo motor data plate? that would be the best way to tell. the allin1dc can easily run up to 40 in-lb motors and i've seen some guys run up to 60 in-lb units.
    often specs on old drives (and motors) state the PEAK current not continuous..so don't confuse those two ratings..