587,025 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need WorkNC Guru!

Ill preface this thread by apologizing, as I am not a machinist, but an IT guy with a serious problem. If my nomenclature or lingo isn't correct, please forgive me.

I'm having an issue with one of my customers machines running WorkNC. They were running an older Dell Precision workstation that would take hours to do a toolpath calculation, so I ran some benchmarks on the system only to find it was tearing up CPU usage. It would peg out at 100% with a single quad core processor. So I ordered a dual processor machine with 12 cores and 32GB ram. It crunches workzones like a champ, giving them the ability to do three simultaneously without lag. However, there is a specific point in the calculation (about 75%) that the process produces an error. The error seems to happen when a temp folder is created in the workzone, and the error references a file within that folder. The problem is, that it deletes this temp folder before I can get a look at the file.

The company is wanting to return the machine because WorkNC is saying that its the hardware, but I have a hard time believing this. We have tried reformatting and reinstalling the OS, there is no AV running on it, nor is there a security program or firewall. If you take the workzone to another PC it works fine. Does WorkNC have an issue with TOO MUCH processor and memory? Does hyperthreading or any other BIOS features need disabled? Im at a loss, so Im leaning on the experts in the industry to help. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need WorkNC Guru!

Hy there

You need plenty of free space on C: (I guess that there you have installed the program). Try to keep it around 500Gb free memory. The error appears when there is no free space.
    Take down, for a trail, the antivirus
    At work I have i5 generation processor and 8 GB RAM...it works like a charm!