587,072 active members*
3,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Where do you get a shrink ring foruse with a cold forging die?

Where do you get a shrink ring foruse with a cold forging die?

I want to build a simple cold forging die to use on an older minster knuckle press. From what I have seen, the dies are usually made by cutting a cavity in the center of a piece of round stock of D2 steel (about 3" dia) and then this round piece is placed inside the center of a second and much larger diameter steel ring (say 12" dia) that has a precision ground inner diameter of about the 3". This ring (called a shrink ring) is heated so that it expands, and then the die is slipped into the inner hole. When everything has cooled you now have your die with a high compressional force on its outside so that it will not crack.

My problem is that making this shrink ring adds a lot of extra work and I would think that someone must make stock shrink rings for this purpose. However I have never found any suppliers that seem to have such rings listed. Maybe they are called something else? I can make a ring if I really need to, but it seems like it would be cheaper to find a stock supplier. I could also make my own allen screws and hex nuts too but obviously it is cheaper and easier to buy such items and I would think it would be the same for a shrink ring.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Re: Where do you get a shrink ring foruse with a cold forging die?

And you pose this question in the forum dedicated to Novakon CNC milling machines because......???

Regards,
    Ray L.

It's amazing how many posts are made to CNCZone that have virtually nothing to do with the forum. If a poster can't be bothered to make even simple attempts to see if the forum is appropriate for the question, why should members waste time providing the info sought?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    It's amazing how many posts are made to CNCZone that have virtually nothing to do with the forum. If a poster can't be bothered to make even simple attempts to see if the forum is appropriate for the question, why should members waste time providing the info sought?
    My bad! This is the first time I have ever used CNCzone. I have no idea how my post ended up under Novakon Systems. Was not supposed to be here so somehow I screwed up. Please disregard unless you know how to delete the thread or transfer it to where it was intended to be. Sorry!