586,408 active members*
2,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma: Machine vs Hand Torch

Other than ease of mounting, what are the benefits of a machine torch over a hand torch?

My main concern is that the machine torch seems to really limit the max workpiece thickness. I was looking at the 1000 and 1250 Hypertherms and was hoping to cut the occasional 1" thick piece, but it doesn't look like that'll happen with a machine torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    what are the benefits of a machine torch over a hand torch?
    One thing being water cooled for higher duty cycles.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ah, watercooling is important. Does that mean that the power unit has a pump installed when a machine torch package is purchased?

Machine torches are generally 100% duty. But, this shouldn’t stop you from jury-rigging a handheld torch to your machine when you do need to cut that thick plate.

Machine torch enable us to change or clean the nozzle and electrode more easier than hand torch.

But I don't think the performance of cutting thickness is different if compare hand torch and machine torch.

The Hypertherm 1250 with machine torch can cut 1" mild steel if you cut from the edge. But you need to spend more money to replace the consumable if you are using machine torch above their recomended thickness 5/8".

Joe
    AC MECA