586,655 active members*
3,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My head is spinning!

I've been thinking about getting a CO2 laser for hobby use and perhaps some small business use later. After a lot of reading, I thought that I knew what I wanted, but the more I read, the less certain I am.

I am mechanically inclined and don't have the dollars for a unit from a domestic manufacturer, so I'm pretty much limited to going the Chinese-made laser route. I was thinking about an 80W-100W 24" X 36" machine from Automated Technologies or perhaps Thunder Laser. It seems that when the shipping, port fees, etc. are considered, there wouldn't be much difference in cost between these two machines. I know that the Automated Technologies machine is built by Sheihu, but I'm not sure who actually builds the Thunder Laser hardware.

My main interest at the moment is engraving, including high res photos on glass, acrylic and marble. I likely will end up trying to use it to cut wood and acrylic as well, perhaps 1/2" thick. Cutting 3/4" material would be nice, but from what I've read, that may be asking too much and probably not something that I would need that often anyway.

One recommendation was to get the 100W laser with a 1" focal length lens for high resolution engraving. I'm not sure how much a 1" fl lens would add to the cost but I like the idea of higher resolution for engraving pictures. On the other hand, I've seen recommendations that say using a lower power laser (40W-60W) is better for engraving. Based on what I've read, neither choice (80-100W or 40-60W) would engrave metal directly. Is that correct?

Of course a 40W-60W machine is less expensive, and that certainly is a consideration. Do the wise folks here have any recommendations?

In the meantime, I've ordered my CorelDraw software and have been searching the web for good graphics to use for engraving.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Alan

Re: My head is spinning!

If engraving is going to be a big part of what you do you don't want to go above 80 watts. 80 watts will cut 1/4" Birch no problem more then that will most likely take a couple passes. 2 or 2.5 inch lens will do photos. But let me tell ya photos are not easy to get good ones and if you plan on doing it on glass its much harder to get good results. Don't get me wrong people do it but its going to take you a while to learn how to do it and get good results.Rabbit laser USA and Auto tech have pretty good machines Rabbit being the best . Thunder is also ok but you have to import it. You will save money importing how much depends on where you buy ect ect.
    Your not realistically going to find 1 machine that will do all you want. That being said I think an 80watt will do you best. Do you really need 24x36 I have 24x16 and have never really needed bigger but it all depends on what your going to do.
    Photos on glass and wood you don't need anything that big.
    You not going to engrave bare metal with a co2 unless its a real big tube.hope this helps

If your anywhere near Rabbit laser or Automation Technologies give them a call and see if they will give you a demo. I went to both places and seen what each machine would do with the material I had to cut. For me the best bang for the buck was Automation Technologies about $2000 cheaper and the same size and power.

Thanks Bigbird, I appreciate the response. I think you are right, a 24X16 machine would do everything that I need. Is the CW3000 chiller adequate for an 80W unit, or should I consider the CW5000?

Also, If I do decide to get additional lenses (I,e, unit equipped with 2" and get additional 1" lens), does the lens just fit in the tube that comes with the machine, or does other hardware need to be replaced? The lenses themselves don't appear to be that expensive, so thought I might try one to see if there is much difference.

Thanks!

Thanks Fixtureman. Unfortunately, I'm not close to either RabbitUSA or Automation Technologies. I've checked them out on the web and did notice that Automation Technologies were priced lower.

The lenses just inter change in the tubes. You just adjust the height of the lens. A cw 5000 or 5200 is the way to go for that laser as they both are chillers and the cw 3000 is just a radiator. do not fall for getting a spare tube as the warranty starts the day they are made and they can lose there gas sitting on a shelf.

Same as what Fixtureman I agree with the 5000 or 5200 as the 3000 just keeps water at room temp the cooler the water the better tube life you'll get.. I try to keep my water around 60f

Thanks Bigbird and fixtureman. Appreciate the advice!

Do me a favor come back and let us know what you finally got and how its working for you, and if you need help we'll do our best for you. So many come here and ask and get help and then poof their gone never to be heard from again.:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Thanks Bigbird and fixtureman. Appreciate the advice!