586,850 active members*
1,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question cutting rates?

I was wondering if there is a good way to set cutting rates? Seems like they are calculated somehow within bobcad.

For example i created a new material for wood set to 80ipm. When i do a facing routine i get a cutting rate of 11ipm...much too slow...even in mach override feedrate to 200% its still too slow.

I realize i can go in and manually set it for each feature, but i was wondering if i need to just override the numbers in my material set up so i don't have to manually do this everytime....create a default as such for this material.

For example, currently all features of that material are 80, If i set a value of 160 for facing i'm assuming i'll get a higher cut rate defaulted.

...guess i'll just have to play around with it and see.

anyone else played around with material rates like this, that can advise?

thx

Re: cutting rates?

You are correct - go into your materials library, select the material you will be using (or create your own). When you modify the material, you can set the SFM to what ever value you wish. When you set up your cut, simply select that material from your materials library, and you should see that reflected in you speeds and feeds.

I have found th8is woirks best if the tool you are using is in the tool library. We have been doing the above and it works great.

will have to try setting a high value and see what i get for my facing cutting speed....stands to reason if 80 creates 11ipm ...160 should double it...?

Since I do not do wood, I am unable to answer your question. You should contact your tool distributor for a speeds and feeds table (usually expressed in SFM. The set you chip load on a per tooth basis. This will get you a good starting place you can work from. Since we do steel, I can offer no suggestoins in the chip load or SFM. There are many articles on these on the net.

Maybe this link will help you

https://cncrouterstore.ca/feed-rate-calculator/
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

I suggest getting a feed/speed calculator. I use G-Wizard and it works really really well. It has wood and router options in it as well plus you can down load it and try it for free for 30 days to see if it works for you or not.