587,960 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What cutting rates for a Plasma?

Hi
    I am close to buying a Thermadyne Cutmaster 51 and also a Cambell Designs THC
    I already have a working CNC Steel Router that I use to cut wood etc.
    I was wondering what feed rates I need to use to cut 16swg (1.6mm) Stainless Steel.
    I need to know if my machine is upto the task, or if I need to do some more upgrades
    Currently the maximum speed of my machine is set at 140 IPM (3600mm/min) which can be increased a little if possible.

Thanks

Andy

You can plasma cut alot with 140ipm or less.Alot depends on what amperage and thickness you want to cut.For example if you want to cut 14 gauge steel with 40 amps your speed will be around 120ipm.If you want to cut 14 gauge with 60 amps your going to have to go faster.If you plan on cutting the thin stuff 18 gauge or so you are going to need to go faster than 140 ipm cutting at 40 amps.Most of the stuff I cut is between 3/16 and 18 gauge at 30 and 40 amps.I make metal art and signs.Your machine would do fine for this.I run a TD Cutmaster 101.

You can plasma cut alot with 140ipm or less
    Thanks Disconnected for the reply.
    I will be mainly cutting 16swg 316 Stainless Steel 95% of the time, what optimum cutting speed and amps would you use as a starting point to cut this material?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry Norm have no experience cutting SS I only cut mild steel.From what I hear SS is one of the more difficult metals to cut.

Sorry Norm have no experience cutting SS I only cut mild steel.From what I hear SS is one of the more difficult metals to cut.
    Thanks Disconnected for your input.
    I have downloaded a PDF file from Thermal Dynamics that lists lots of pages of cutting speeds using different Amps and Nozzle setups.
    The fastest runs at over 6 metres a minute for 16swg Stainless Steel
    But on another page with a different nozzle setup etc, the speed comes down to 3 metres a minute which will be an ideal cutting speed for my machine

Andy

Stainless warps like crazy and discolors. The smallest tip and amperage you can use for a given thickness will give you the best results. If your intent is to plasma cut on your router table better be prepared to do a LOT of cleanup. Plasma dust (smoke) is actually vaporized metal and is hard to contain, gets everywhere within 100 ft and is abrasive AND conductive! If you drive mechanism is leadscrew type you will need to do a washdown and re-lube of the screws pretty often unless you have excellent dust/smoke extraction setup.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

If your intent is to plasma cut on your router table better be prepared to do a LOT of cleanup.
    Thanks Tom!
    I have my machine in its own soundproof room, which gives enough room to be able to get around the machine.
    I will be putting extraction into the room and be making a water table, that is a couple of the many jobs to do!

Andy