587,006 active members*
3,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dust exractor

I am setting up my new omni 1325 machine and have been having a few issues, the latest is that the dust extractor cover is hitting the red metal edge of the table before the cutter reaches the material, has anyone else had this problem? the only solution I can see at this point is to remove the edge piece, has anyone done this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	296928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	296930

Re: Dust exractor

Couldn't you just make your spoilboard thicker ?

Well I have done something like that, I bought some pegboard, ( board with lots of holes in it) because I have a vacuum table, I also went out and bought a longer bit 65mm instead of 50mm but there is only 22mm of the bit in the collett.

Removing the piece should be fine, looks like a gutter of sorts to stop as much junk from reaching the rail etc. That said, I'd likely just make a custom narrower dust boot out of wood or polycarb. I've always hated that you can't see anything with ones like that. You could easily redo it to make it more oblong than square and you'd probably get better removal too. Alternatively, you cut it down (removing the top curve back) etc.

G
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

BTW - how long did your machine take from Deposit to shipping? How to you like it? What other issues? It would be great to see a review of sorts if you can. I've already ordered but always helpful for the lurkers.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Hi gfacer, I ordered the machine through Alibaba, and the contract said that they would take 4 weeks from deposit to being ready to deliver, in the end I think it took about 6 weeks but they emailed me to say that there would be a delay to the contract and I wasn't in a real hurry so that wasn't really any problem.
    I haven't used the machine a lot yet so I can't really give you a definitive report on it but for the most part it seems to be ok.
    I have had a few issues with the machine.
    When I ordered the machine I asked that the dust extractor and vacuum table be operated through the main control box as I had only one 3 phase outlet in my workshop, and was given to understand that that would be so but when the machine arrived there was no switch or connection for them.
    The biggest problem I had with the machine was that we couldn't get it to start at all, Omni don't provide any wiring diagrams, trouble shooting guide or comissioning instructions at all and actually refused to provide any wiring diagrams. Several days of emailing back and forth with their tech support got us nowhere and in the end tempers got a bit frayed. An electrician finally worked out that the fault wasn't with the machine but with the neutral wire in my workshop, apparently the saw that usually used the outlet didn't need a neutral so it had been working ok. It took more than 3 days and a lot of emails before we finally figured this out and a wiring diagram would have helped us to locate the problem a lot faster.
    As posted here the dust extractor hits the side rail, I have since removed the rail .
    The x and y axes are opposite to the way I'm used to, the y axis is the long axis, in the end I upgraded my cut 2 d software to the newest version where it is easy to rotate the axes but still a bit of a pain and it would have been much easier if the x axis was the long one, If I had known this in advance I would have asked them to set it up the other way.
    The software they supplied, artsoft and type 3 didn't like my computer and wouldn't load and I decided not to use them, just to stick with cut 2d as all I do is cut sheets of plywood from dxf files supplied to me.
    The vacuum pump is quite noisy and gets very hot quickly, I have never used one before so I didn't know exactly what to expect but for the amount of noise and heat it produces it doesn't seem to produce a lot of vacuum.
    Anyway I hope this is useful to any prospective buyers, I will let you know some more when I have used it some more.

Omni take on contracts that they cannot fulfill properly. They cost me another $625 because of a local DDU shipping SNAFU. Promised control features were not included in the control panel and in the end you get the an answer that 'you are not buying the dust collector from us (not UL/CSA), At the contracts end you are told, 'I did not understand the language/technical/shipping/code issues' and so it goes on and on. They do not want to supply a wiring diagram for buyers, they want you to gut the electronics and rebuild it yourself and then claim that they cannot offer tech support. I have just found some very interesting splices between single conductor UL wire and Chinese cable that was supposed to be UL/CSA approved, but is not. It took 5 months to get this Chinese cable and I told the sales manager that I had several quotes for certified cable after 3 weeks all in China. The splices give the appearance that the single conductor wire from this cable is approved. A similar size cable has Chinese characters, dimensions, 300V and TPPVF. I have asked for UL documentation from the cable factory. The only cable sent by me to Jinan that the Omni technicians have used is 16 AWG 4C for the 20A spindle. With the 125% safety margin in Canada, it should be a minimum of 14 AWG and the NEC US regulations would require 12 AWG. The latter was provided from Olflex, as were 10-4C, 16-4C & 16 AWG 3C. The 18 AWG that has no certification marks and the 22 AWG too must be replaced (300') and the VFD/spindle cable uprated. I paid extra for a UL/CSA fitted machine for certification here in Canada. What was delivered is not a 'turnkey' machine. I must gut all the cable, working out the wiring diagram as I go.

Going back to the splices. No terminals were used, no solder, the wires were just twisted together and wrapped in HS tape to conceal the true nature of the work. You are probably asking what these single conductor wires were connected to. None other than the start and emergency stop buttons on the control panel. Over 2 years ago, I gave the sales manager ampacity tables and explained the need for an extra 25% safety margin for the current capacity of the cable, but the techs wanted to use the same cable that they use in machines for their domestic market. This means that the sales manager did not pass this info on to the techs and that this is more than deception, it is fraud! It is not a case that their cable is much more flexible than the correct sized Olflex cable, it is that they use cable 1 or 2 sizes too small for the circuit. The control panel was the third build performed. They do not know what the international colour code is in different parts of the world. All of the correct coloured and sized single conductor UL wire was sent to them in Jinan.

I could tell you other tales about the PS/stepper motor/stepper controller for the 4th axis. Their inability to follow circuit diagrams from manufacturers of components, Their inability to follow an installation video in English and the need for the manufacturers office in China to send them instructions in Mandarin. Even then they could not get it correct and I had to get the manufacturer to confirm my configuration. There's more! I came to the conclusion that they were bringing in cheap rural labour to work on the assembly line. There is no in house electrical engineer. It becomes the customers job to train the techs, but they are not told that what they are doing is not correct for the N. American export market. I guess there are tricks to milking a cow and making a cnc machine, but they are not the same. Essentially, the factory owner and sales manager are allowing their techs to run the factory and when those people 'have not done this before', you are in trouble. I have suggested that they stop exporting and focus on sales in their domestic market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1364.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	322874