586,675 active members*
2,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Good budget CNC milling machine

Hi.

Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding CNC milling machines/brands. I want it as cheap as possible, but it also should do the job quite good. I want to use it on aluminium, brass, CF. It would also be very nice if it can handle harder steel also, like stainless and even titanium (Titanium aint crucial)

I have looked at Sieg KX1 and also Wabeco CC-F1200.

Off course they don`t have the largest work area, so I would like to have a bit more work area. I plan to make RC parts, parts for me to build an CNC plasma table etc. Also knifemaking.

I would love to start as cheap as possible, and then work my way up

Best regards
    Roy

Re: Good budget CNC milling machine

I found this KIRA KN-6V-3020 with Fanuc it is a old one, from 1986, a company that are bankrupt and i can get it for less then 3000$ I guess this is a heavy duty CNC which can handle the most of materials.

But there are probably alot of buts on buying this. Spareparts is one thing. Can I use CAM software like HSMxpress/Fusion360 without costly upgrades etc.

Attachment 315390

To start as cheap as possible I would and did look at converting a manual mini mill, a little research identified an easy machine for me to do a basic conversion on, and I learnt more from conversion than buying a machine ready to go. Converting the "seig x1 super lp" was my route and yes its not a perfect job by any means it probably leaves a lot to be desired and will no doubt continue to be improved, but a full conversion on a new machine with a few tools and running in a day for less than £700 I would consider this a cheap introduction to cnc milling, for me an introduction to milling of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    To start as cheap as possible I would and did look at converting a manual mini mill, a little research identified an easy machine for me to do a basic conversion on, and I learnt more from conversion than buying a machine ready to go. Converting the "seig x1 super lp" was my route and yes its not a perfect job by any means it probably leaves a lot to be desired and will no doubt continue to be improved, but a full conversion on a new machine with a few tools and running in a day for less than £700 I would consider this a cheap introduction to cnc milling, for me an introduction to milling of any type.
    Hi Louis. Yeah I started looking into this myself yesterday, I saw the X1 and also X2. Where did you buy your conversion kit from? Is there anyone here in Europe selling it? I found a store in Norway that does have the X2 & X3.

If I may ask, what kind of materials have you done with success ?

Thx Roy

No kit I used a cheap CNC motor/power/breakout board from aiexpress two Nema23 mounting brackets and a few pieces of 2020 extrusion. Keeping original leadscrews etc for the timebeing very little work or expense involved as you can see from pictures cost around £100 main job was getting machine set up manually adjusting and trimming to get smooth operation. Upgrading leadscrew for more accurate ballscrews etc is a possible improvement down the line.

Materials so far Some stainless cutting keyways and flats on round bar mainly, mild steel from making T Nuts and clamps various small workshop tools to a mounting bracket for large motor mower, Aliminium 5083 6061 etc it eats for breakfast, Acrylics, misc Hardwood etc. Currently machining lots of Aluminium to build larger CNC router 800x400mm work area. New to all metal work I am happy with performance at moment my choice of X1 came down to fact I own/live in first floor flat and carried up stairs alone 70kg was as much as I wanted to handle comfortably.

Looks good. Ok I have to investigate a bit more then. Looks like X2 will be my first build then Did you find any instructions on the conversion you did? And you use Mach3? I have never done CNC`ing before, but I do want to make some of my Solidworks models into real parts. So I have started using HSMworks & Fusion360, So I am starting to get a real good work method for the toolpaths etc

For my garage I want a milling machine, and plasma cutter table 3000x1500 and like you a 800x400 or 900x600 for engraving / wood cutting etc. So then I need the mill first so I can start creating parts

No instructions found or needed the principle is simple the motors need to be held firmly in allignment to the screws and connected, I have never done CNC work of any type befotre hand some laser cutting 3d printing.

I use Mach3 in conjunction with Fusion 360 to model generate toolpaths, G Code files and produce parts.

I design and make lots of prototype kit for people and along with 3d printing and a small metal lathe (which I see no point in converting at this time) and the mill conversion allows me to accomplish much of what I need router I have under construction should be able to handle Aluminium as its quite solidly constructed side rails 150mmx50mmx6.35 box section plates 25-30mm. Base shown is 75mm MDF, I have a Welded Steel base with ground cast iron top that weighs in at almost half a ton that will be put in place at some point if needed, otherwise for use when I decide to sell flat and move.

Hi,this is Andrew from China,our company is professional to produce the CNC metal milling machine,Here is the picture of our machine.

Could you pls tell me about the details of your working,for explame,the size and thickness of the material,so that i will recommend appropriate machine to you.
    If you have any question about the machine ,pls feel free to contact me.
    Email:[email protected]
    WhatsApp:15550431261

hi i think to work the way up will be verry expensive in the end maybe you first look at the options you have. a) buy a used one like you proposed is a verry good choice if you have the experience education and space b) retrofit. is also a good one you can learn a lot but it will take longer and you will not make parts fast c) buy a cheap internet offer and work your way up my personal opinion is that this will be verry expensive at the end. d). use a good base machine where you can start fast like novakon tormach thojomech haas etc
    and it seems you live in eu if ypu want to have a look at our machines at thojomech.com which are based on manual mills with years of experience all european parts as far as possible and last but not least really build here so if you need adjustments we can do that thomas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk