587,333 active members*
3,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Open source low cost servomotor controller

Hybrid View

Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

The motors you show are open to chips getting in. Have you built a covering for them and do they not overheat with a cover.

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    The motors you show are open to chips getting in. Have you built a covering for them and do they not overheat with a cover.
    Yeah they are open. I was thinking of making a shroud that houses a motor/encoder assembly, and that has an air inlet with an intake filter, and a fan for forced air cooling. This can probably increase the performance at low speeds fairly significantly since the motors own air cooling doesn't work unless they are spinning at high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by macdowswe View Post
    Yeah they are open. I was thinking of making a shroud that houses a motor/encoder assembly, and that has an air inlet with an intake filter, and a fan for forced air cooling. This can probably increase the performance at low speeds fairly significantly since the motors own air cooling doesn't work unless they are spinning at high speed.
    So about the cooling and thermal management of the motor, the above is the plan. Actually, just to enumerate some of the possible ways to prevent overheating:

1. Use reduction gearing to reduce torque required from motor
    2. Oversize the motor
    3. Use forced air cooling
    4. Active thermal management/control, with motor temperature feedback (using a thermistor or similar)
    5. Most importantly: lots of testing.

I think in the end there is a large range of motor sizes available, and the power to cost ratio of these motors is really good. So getting the right motor shouldn't be a big problem. After I get back to a proper workstation after the holidays, I will make a spreadsheet to help people pick motors for their application, and include some motors I recommend (and of course have it so people can add their own motors).

Hey guys, to help picking out the right brushless motor for your application, I made this spreadsheet, feel free to make a copy and play with it: Link.

Its intended to be a basic guide, so it has some limitations: The acceleration times do not consider friction, and the current ratings are a bit dubious on hobbyking (you could possibly push more for a short time, or it could be overrated for continuous current).

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by macdowswe View Post
    Hey guys, to help picking out the right brushless motor for your application, I made this spreadsheet, feel free to make a copy and play with it: Link.

Its intended to be a basic guide, so it has some limitations: The acceleration times do not consider friction, and the current ratings are a bit dubious on hobbyking (you could possibly push more for a short time, or it could be overrated for continuous current).

Cheers!
    A couple of nice choices in your motor list I see and the 50-50 580kv and the 50-60 270kv are worth testing to determine suitability for operation at 24V.