586,973 active members*
2,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > SIEG X3 Budget DIY CNC Conversion Ongoing Project Summary

Hybrid View

The Xylotex drives will work fine. My mill is zipping around nicely with only 260oz-in motors on X and Y. I got one of those 425oz-in motors from Keling for my Z axis. I find myself being forced to get very low decel rates for moving the head down. Once that thing is moving at 60IPM, it does not want to stop. BUt in fairness, I don't have a gas strut mounted yet. I just ordered a 75lb gas strut from McMaster. That should more or less balance it all out. I believe the head is about 80 pounds.

One thing I should specify though. If you use the stock leadscrews, I do not think you will be able to get away with a Xylotex. Rolled ballscrews like those sold by CNCfusion are 3x as efficient. You will save money by using ballscrews, as you will be able to get 23 frame motors and the Xylotex instead of GEcko drives and beefier motors. Also, backlash will be consistent.

So figure 1k for the mill. 549 for the ballscrew X3 kit from CNCfusion. 475 for a Xylotex kit, plug and play.

Honestly, I think 549 is a lot of money for the CNC hardware you get. You would be able to spend probably under 150 if you did all the machining yourself. THis gives you a chance to get familiar with the machines capabilities by using it manually anyways. The 5/8-.2 ballscrew is cheap

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
    The Xylotex drives will work fine. My mill is zipping around nicely with only 260oz-in motors on X and Y. I got one of those 425oz-in motors from Keling for my Z axis. I find myself being forced to get very low decel rates for moving the head down. Once that thing is moving at 60IPM, it does not want to stop. BUt in fairness, I don't have a gas strut mounted yet. I just ordered a 75lb gas strut from McMaster. That should more or less balance it all out. I believe the head is about 80 pounds.

One thing I should specify though. If you use the stock leadscrews, I do not think you will be able to get away with a Xylotex. Rolled ballscrews like those sold by CNCfusion are 3x as efficient. You will save money by using ballscrews, as you will be able to get 23 frame motors and the Xylotex instead of GEcko drives and beefier motors. Also, backlash will be consistent.

So figure 1k for the mill. 549 for the ballscrew X3 kit from CNCfusion. 475 for a Xylotex kit, plug and play.

Honestly, I think 549 is a lot of money for the CNC hardware you get. You would be able to spend probably under 150 if you did all the machining yourself. THis gives you a chance to get familiar with the machines capabilities by using it manually anyways. The 5/8-.2 ballscrew is cheap
    I have been interested in machining my own motor mounts, but am also unsure of what it really requires as far as the dimensions, and if any of those mounting dimensions are critical to the operation of the stepper motors.
    Perhaps it would be easier to have the machine in front of me, but as of now I don't have that convenience.

Does it only matter to get the motor mounts concentric with the ballscrews to the Stepper motors? And then a nice flush mount with some allen screws with the existing X3 hardware? I suppose the tapped holes already exist on the X3 handwheels to bolt up to the motor mounts?