587,003 active members*
2,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Hybrid View

Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

I wish I could pay someone, this is killing me,lol. I tried Catia, Solidworks, Meshcam, Spaceclaim, Freecad, Hypermesh, Designspark, Mastercam, Geomagic Design X, Solid Edge and Rhino, all I need is a solid from an stl to get true solid wireframe from. Thank you all, you guys rock for trying. Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    I wish I could pay someone, this is killing me,lol. I tried Catia, Solidworks, Meshcam, Spaceclaim, Freecad, Hypermesh, Designspark, Mastercam, Geomagic Design X, Solid Edge and Rhino, all I need is a solid from an stl to get true solid wireframe from. Thank you all, you guys rock for trying. Happy New Year.
    Solidworks 2016 handles it just fine. It IS a solid. See attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolpath.jpg  

Hi Warren, my Boeing shop I currently work at doesn't have Solidworks, and my home student is 2013. I like the end of that were the mesh was removed, some kind of pinch tool?. I need to machine it without surface cutting the whole thing, just surface the small radius to the head, and the back of the neck and foot transitions. Pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails completed top.jpg   Completed Bottom.jpg  

Did here too warren...
    Ted
    http://www.RhinoCanada.com or http://www.ted-kyte.com

Happy New Year everyone, thank you for your help on this. I can easily profile the outside with a silhouette boundary and use tabs to hold it in the frame, and then hemstitch both sides, but I would like to just hemstich the radius part of the neck and volute's and the radius from the neck to the head face. I tried to make surfaces and extrude .001 thou, and those small rectangles are driving me crazy,lol. Below is a pic of a model I made, but my radius to th hell and head are wrong. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Completed Bottom.jpg   completed top.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Happy New Year everyone, thank you for your help on this. I can easily profile the outside with a silhouette boundary and use tabs to hold it in the frame, and then hemstitch both sides, but I would like to just hemstich the radius part of the neck and volute's and the radius from the neck to the head face. I tried to make surfaces and extrude .001 thou, and those small rectangles are driving me crazy,lol. Below is a pic of a model I made, but my radius to th hell and head are wrong. Cheers.
    Lets be clear. You are not asking for a "solid model".... You are asking to have all those patch surfaces (which ARE stitched into a solid) be reworked to be "single contiguous surfaces" (Where applicable) As if it were "Modeled"!!!

Here are the bones though.

You "Have" a polygon model (A bunch of tiny, flat, diced up surfaces. Which in and of itself is [Not precise]....

You, or you had someone, create a NURBS object from the mesh! (The current IGES file)

The problem though, is there is no real 2d/3d profiles defining the parts (This is really the underlying thing with NURBS).. You have small surface patches actually crossing what should be a border.

to compound that, the original NURBS from mesh conversion, just produced terrible geometry anyway (Try shading the neck areas and zoom in on it!

I merged 98% of those little patches together. The result is horrible!

You said "you can get the profiles you need, you just need the curved surfaces to machine!" Is that correct? If so, just use the original polygon model for the machining process. Use your own created profiles and edges for edge work..

Trying to do what you are trying to do here is easier to just make it in CAD to start.

Correct, as long as I have a drive surface on the parts that need hemstitched, without hemstitching the majority of the neck, that would be great. I have a straight stl that hasn't been modified if that is workable. Attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files