2,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree spindle question
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Tree spindle question

Hello folks,

I'm in the market for a used US made manual mill and have heard great things about Tree mills. Currently I'm looking at a couple of 2UVR mills. One has the double taper Tree style collet holder. The other one doesn't appear to have this holder (it might just be missing the collet nut, but it's hard to tell from the photos) and the owner isn't a machinist nor does he have any info on the mill. The mills are not anywhere near where I live so I'll have to commit without inspecting them beforehand.

Finally getting to my question...did all 2UVR mills use the Tree style collets? And, if this mill doesn't have the holder and/or nut are these readily available?

Thanks for the info!

http://www.3sincorporated.com/index.htm

These guys would probably have a collet nut for a 2UVR. If not, I have an old one that I would sell you.

As far as I know all 2UVRs are Z collets (the double angle collet that you are talking about). I have been using my 2UVR for 5 years and I like the collets. They are easier to change than a R8 collet and they hold long, double end mills because they don't have a drawbar like an R8. The only problem is that the collets are hard to find. Mine are pretty worn out and are starting to get stuck in the spindle. I'm considering having my spindle machined to accept ER collets, which are similar but easy to buy new out of any machine tool catalog and also hold a wider range of sizes.

Hey Todd, thanks for the info. I'm watching a couple of 2UVRs and hopefully I'll be bringing one home soon. I'll keep you in mind if the collet nut is in fact missing.

Tree Collets

The Type Z collets are out there but the popular sizes are indeed hard to find.
    1/4" 3/8" 1/2"... they're tough but everything else is easy, on the other had they can get expensive.

But here's the great thing... you can MAKE THEM! ahahahh try making an R8! well, you wouldnt have to since they're a dime a dozen....

but anyway. making a type Z is easy... Here's a pic when I made my first one:

on the left is a 1/8" that I got with the machine, on the right is a 1/2" that I made. Ordinary cold-rolled steel. works perfect.

what about an endmill holder? which one will work? i need to use a 1 3/4" roughing bit in my tree mill.
    the biggest collet i have is 3/4" and i cant find a 1 3/4" roughing bit with a 3/4" shank

Find a smaller roughing bit I guess... 3/4" is the biggest shank that will fit in the 2UVR as far as I know.

Stenson Voyager is correct, even the 200 Tradesman only will chuck a a 3/4" shank..I have turned the shank down in my lathe to accomodate, even a couple of R8's I had on hand. They work fine,the Tree spindle is tuff, to say the least..

Adobe (old as dirt)

More great info guys, thanks!

My new-to-me 2UVR is sitting in my pickup waiting for the forklift guy to show up.

I can't wait to get it up and running!

Sweet! Send us pics.

Here's a link to mine:
    http://www.stinsonvoyager.com/Tree%20Mill.htm

I'll post some once it's in the shop. And perhaps after I do some clean up, repainting, etc. It's of similar vintage to yours, but no where near as nice condition as yours! It came from GM's Saginaw plant, steering division and was rescraped in 1979. I'm guessing it sat mostly since then.

Starting to put her back together

I'm finally making some progess! I posted some pics on myspace. Here's a link:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1104056

oooooooo

Pretty!

i have a tree 2uvr. spindle is not moving up and down. it has been getting harder and harder to move until finally it is locked in position. what do i need to do.

i think you have a version of the same problem i have. ive just posted an extension to further explain my situation, but its not up yet. hard to find people that know what`s up. locally anyway. did you get spindle problem fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by daveys View Post
    i think you have a version of the same problem i have. ive just posted an extension to further explain my situation, but its not up yet. hard to find people that know what`s up. locally anyway. did you get spindle problem fixed?
    figured out spindle lock problem. my tree, which has automatic spindle drive (? correct description) was missing the small pins underneath the knurled knob which when tightened causes spindle to automatically go down or up. it had become locked in automatic mode. i was not aware the machine had this feature. no problem now

I read sometime ago that Tree made something so that
    you could use a 1" shank in the spindle. Don't remember
    where I saw it.
    BTW I have two 2UVR's.
    Lee

Tree 1" weldon shank

My Tree was kind enough to have a 1" shank adaptor when I bought it. It's an extension affair that replaces the collet nut and extends about 3" down.Has one 3/8 allen key set screw to hold the tool.

Works great for larger tooling.

On the other hand, the table drive was long gone. Would be nice to have!
    Rich.

Is there any way you could post a picture of that
    adaptor. I would like to make one.
    Lee

Does anyone know if there are seals or 'O'rings in the 2UVR
    spindle. Mine leaks. Not gallons but enough to throw oil all
    over the floor and me. Thanks.
    Lee

Lee, will try.Need to take picture and I've never posted pics before.

About oil from spindle...mine is the same leaker..I try to clean with a rag before I start the spindle. I've ruined more than one shirt. richard.

Page 1 of 2 12