586,645 active members*
2,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Interact with Heidenhain TNC155B RS232 Interface

Interact with Heidenhain TNC155B RS232 Interface

I am having trouble getting the link set up between my PC running TNCremoNT and my TNC155B controller. Im certain the pc end is ok but am unsure what lead to use, the pc has a 9 pin din and the TNC is a 25 pin. Should i be using a lead for software or hardware handshake ?

Also i am not sure if the controller is set up correctly to see the peripheral device

Any help would be much appreciated

richard
    [email protected]

re

first you have to tell us what error you are getting

to convert to the 9 pin you need to jump two pins and I don't hve that in front of me. The tnc wants to see the handshaking, so is it cts and rts, I think lookin a the diagram on the other thread, pins 4 and 5 on the 25 pin are jumped together, then 2 and 3 are crossed. My old 145 wanted 7 bits, 1 stop bit even parity but I think that is changeable on other controls

Quote Originally Posted by rrbmachining View Post
    I am having trouble getting the link set up between my PC running TNCremoNT and my TNC155B controller. Im certain the pc end is ok but am unsure what lead to use, the pc has a 9 pin din and the TNC is a 25 pin. Should i be using a lead for software or hardware handshake ?

Also i am not sure if the controller is set up correctly to see the peripheral device

Any help would be much appreciated

richard
    [email protected]
    If you go back there is a recent thread where I put in the specific cable wiring for this.

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Here you go::::::

Download TNC REMO from Heidenhain's site - set it up and run TNCSERVER

Make up a cable from 25way TNC151B to 9 way PC as follows:

(25way TNC) <9 way PC>
    (2) - <2>
    (3) - <3>
    (4) - <8>
    (5) - <7>
    (6) - <4>
    (7) - <5>
    (20) - <6>

The TNC RS232 interface can exist in three modes - "EXT", "ME", and "FE" selected via the 'MOD' key - it should be in "FE"

File names & extensions ARE important in block mode transmission. 123.H = program 123 in Heidenhain conversational code and 123.I is program 123 in ISO-Gcode

When set up like the above it will work - it took me ages to sort it but now all is reliable.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Thanks for all the replies, I will give it another try today

With regard to the last reply from awemawson, shouldn't pins 2 and 3 get transposed in the cable ?. I found that diagram after a lot of searching on page 3-5 of the Heidenhain data interface manual, however there appears to be a discrepency between the two drawings

richard
    [email protected]

Thanks for all the replies, I will give it another try today

With regard to the last reply from awemawson, shouldn't pins 2 and 3 get transposed in the cable ?. I found that diagram after a lot of searching on page 3-5 of the Heidenhain data interface manual, however there appears to be a discrepency between the two drawings

richard
    [email protected]
    No that's the way 9 and 25 way do it !

Pin 2 is transmit data on 25 pin and received data on a 9 pin
    Pin 3 is received data on a 25 pin and transmit data on a 9 pin

Look at Pin Assignments here :

http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com...#anchor1155222

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

thanks for that andrew, that could explain alot, i will give it a try later for sure

richard

Well im making some proress thanks to all the help i have had, the TNC now seems to talk to the pc running tncserver as the link goes active when i try to transfer a file, however the file does not appear on the pc so i guess the transfer is not complete or corrupt, from what i can see the settings match at the tnc and the pc, anymore thoughts anyone ?

richard
    [email protected]

Well im making some proress thanks to all the help i have had, the TNC now seems to talk to the pc running tncserver as the link goes active when i try to transfer a file, however the file does not appear on the pc so i guess the transfer is not complete or corrupt, from what i can see the settings match at the tnc and the pc, anymore thoughts anyone ?

richard
    [email protected]

TNC server should say 'awaiting request' when it has seen a valid RS232 connection, otherwise it will say 'no connection' Does TNC server start counting up blocks as the transfer starts? Have you set up the folder option on TNCserver to tell it where to put the file?

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

TNC server does say awiting request, the server does have a folder defined but when i try to transfer a file the status goes active for about 5 seconds and nothing happens in the bottom 4 fields of the server window. Maybe its something to do with the file name or extension but as yet i have not worked out how to check this

richard
    [email protected]

TNC server does say awiting request, the server does have a folder defined but when i try to transfer a file the status goes active for about 5 seconds and nothing happens in the bottom 4 fields of the server window. Maybe its something to do with the file name or extension but as yet i have not worked out how to check this

richard
    [email protected]
    You do have the TNC155 in 'FE' mode and the TNCserver in FE/ME mode don't you? What happens if you try to upload a file? (if in conversational mode the file must be a number with an .H extension and if in Iso mode a number with a .I extension ie 300.H or 300.I - I don't think you can use anything other than numbers for file names, but the number doesn't have to correspond with the program number embeded in the code iirc

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

The TNC155 is in FE mode and the server software set to send/recieve FE. I cant try to upload as i have no files on the server

richard
    [email protected]

The TNC155 is in FE mode and the server software set to send/recieve FE. I cant try to upload as i have no files on the server

richard
    [email protected]
    I've sent you some example files in iso code and conversational code
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

I have finally managed to transfer files supplied by andrew but had to change to the ME mode from the FE mode which I was using, anyone know why that should be

richard
    [email protected]

Red face receive ok but unable to send G codes

I have read the discussion going on and tried to follow it but unable to achieve the results.I have been working on interfacing my TNC for more than a month.(nuts)
    Now my problems are:

1. using "ext" mode and cable with wiring shown:

<DB9>(PC) <DB25>(TNC 155)

2 <---------------------- > 2
    3 <----------------------> 3
    5 <----------------------> 7
    1,4,6 looped 8,20,6 looped
    7,8 looped 4,5 looped

and using a DNC software I can receive any G code(already present) from my TNC at my PC but i am unable to send my G codes blockwise to the TNC.I have attached the G codes i received from my TNC. A point to be noted is there is no end of block "*" and no file type of it.
    at the end of received G codes this * is visible on the machine.

2. I downloaded TNCremo for win98 and when i run it in win98 it gives error before the setup begins i.e "The specified service already exists".

3. According to the discussion going on the forum i tried to connect the machine in FE mode using Pro NC evaluation version (as i failed with TNCremo)and the wiring diagram given by "awemawson" but again no response.
    It gives error the "End of Block missing".

when i use MP223 = 1 p
    I am unable even to connect in "ext" mode.

4. what are the parameters required for using G codes and transfer blockwise.

Waiting for reply.

Servocontroller
    [email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Attached is a technical bulletin from Bridgeport about TNC communication. I added a note about TNC2500 communication using PROCOMM, and a DOS program used with a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 100.

George
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George

Re: Interact with Heidenhain TNC155B RS232 Interface

Hello,
    I have a TNC 155 that I need urgently to connect with my PC. The TNC has a db25 FEMALE port and the computer a usb to rs232 cable that end on a male port. I can't get this to work. Can anyone that has a fully functional setup give me any tips please?

Greetings