586,868 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Routing sheet metal

If it`s only 0.4mm I think it`s just a piece of cake on a 4 flute HSS, on my experience I can even cut 1mm thick stainless steel sheet, by just using a 1/8 carbide bit single flute at feedrate 400 and plunge rate of 80 on 5 passes, sometimes 7 passes, depending on the sharpness of my installed tool bit, it gets dull in time after a couple of cuts, so in the beginning I make a CAM for 5 passes and for 7 passes, after 20 cuts I change the code for 7 passes to continue working and after a couple of cuts that`s the time I re sharpen hehe, sometimes laziness made me think further just to minimize the tool change make sure to have a sacrificial plywood to avoid accidentally scraping your CNC table and to easily clamp your holding tabs in place.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170324_124449.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    If it`s only 0.4mm I think it`s just a piece of cake on a 4 flute HSS, on my experience I can even cut 1mm thick stainless steel sheet, by just using a 1/8 carbide bit single flute at feedrate 400 and plunge rate of 80 on 5 passes, sometimes 7 passes, depending on the sharpness of my installed tool bit, it gets dull in time after a couple of cuts, so in the beginning I make a CAM for 5 passes and for 7 passes, after 20 cuts I change the code for 7 passes to continue working and after a couple of cuts that`s the time I re sharpen hehe, sometimes laziness made me think further just to minimize the tool change make sure to have a sacrificial plywood to avoid accidentally scraping your CNC table and to easily clamp your holding tabs in place.

Hi KH,
    When you say 400 /80 are you referring to mm , cm, or inches?
    Here is what I want to cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 295EDE4F-4273-448D-B7AF-B6DFE5F7126F.jpg  

Re: Routing sheet metal

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    You are not cutting steel, he wants to cut steel, which won't be possible for his spindle to run slow enough to do it
    Mactec54