586,796 active members*
2,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Wiring HuangYang VFD without grounding! How dangerous is this?

Hybrid View

Re: Wiring HuangYang VFD without grounding! How dangerous is this?

Here is the drawing. Much better than pictures, I cannot take photos of everything.

If I connect the EARTH wire coming from the power strip to the E terminal on the VFD, the moment I turn power output of VFD on I loose USB connection.
    If I disconnect the EARTH wire from the VFD everything works but the VFD is floating .

On the shielded cable for the spindle, the shield is connected on the VFD side to EARTH terminal and on the other side is unconnected.

Any ideas?

[PS1. On the VFD, the E and Ground/Earth symbol are the same terminal, connected to spindle cable shield and power outlet EARTH)
    [PS2. I forgot the EMI filter just before the RST terminals of the VFD, but nothing special typical in series connection]

Quote Originally Posted by takeda View Post
    Here is the drawing. Much better than pictures, I cannot take photos of everything.

If I connect the EARTH wire coming from the power strip to the E terminal on the VFD, the moment I turn power output of VFD on I loose USB connection.
    If I disconnect the EARTH wire from the VFD everything works but the VFD is floating .

On the shielded cable for the spindle, the shield is connected on the VFD side to EARTH terminal and on the other side is unconnected.

Any ideas?

[PS1. On the VFD, the E and Ground/Earth symbol are the same terminal, connected to spindle cable shield and power outlet EARTH)
    [PS2. I forgot the EMI filter just before the RST terminals of the VFD, but nothing special typical in series connection]
    Do you have a Ground wire from the VFD to the Spindle Ground wire connects to the Pin 4 in the spindle plug, check the Pin 4 for continuity to the spindle body, these some times are not connected and have to be connected by removing the Cap on top of the spindle

All the Ground wires need to go to ( 1 ) Point
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground Wire -2.jpg   Grounding Shields-3.PNG   Ground Wire -2.jpg   Gounding Post in Case.PNG  

Mactec54

I checked, but there is no coneection inside for the 4th pin.

Anyway, I did the following today:

- I connected the EARTH from the power strip to the E of VFD.
    - I disconnected the E of VFD from the shield of the spindle cable.
    - I grounded my machine (and spindle casing) to EARTH of the power strip.

This way the planet cnc does not seem to lose connection when I turn on the spindle. But I didn't run any long program to check this out yet.

If I connect the E of VFD to the shield of the spindle cable I get (I assume) a ground loop and this causes the main braker to switch off (I apologize I don't know how to say this in english, no power in the whole garage)...

If I connect the E of VFD to the shield of the spindle cable I get (I assume) a ground loop and this causes the main braker to switch off (I apologize I don't know how to say this in english, no power in the whole garage)...
    A ground loop only occurs when a potential difference occurs between two earth ground points, if the earth (GND) conductor is completed from supply to motor frame then this is equi-potential bonding and allows the grounding of each end of the VFD conductor shield.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I checked, but there is no coneection inside for the 4th pin.

Anyway, I did the following today:

- I connected the EARTH from the power strip to the E of VFD.
    - I disconnected the E of VFD from the shield of the spindle cable.
    - I grounded my machine (and spindle casing) to EARTH of the power strip.

This way the planet cnc does not seem to lose connection when I turn on the spindle. But I didn't run any long program to check this out yet.

That is not how to Ground your spindle

Ground /Earth wire, spindle to VFD, VFD to main Power Ground /Earth your power strip, or a star point where all the Grounds /Earth wires should connect, you will have to fix the 4th pin in the spindle like what I posted

If the main Breaker turns off, then you have a more serious problem, you have an electrical short, so check in the spindle plug that there are no wires touching
    Mactec54

At the risk of getting my head bitten off.... it's not super dangerous to run a spindle without ground being connected. That doesn't mean it is advisable though. It has the potential to be dangerous if there is a problem with the VFD.

I briefly tested my spindle without a ground connection before I installed the newer style outlets (which all have ground now). It worked fine. It wasn't that long ago that two pin outlets (with no ground) were the norm and within code in America. One of the vendors for Chinese VFDs and spindles has a YouTube video where they state that ground is optional.

A ground connection is a safety feature to prevent you getting shocked in the event there is a problem with your VFD. So.., if all else is well, it should never need to be used. I don't have that level of trust in Chinese VFDs though.... plus you might have an issue with your wiring...

Given the voltages involved and the potential consequences of a problem, however unlikely, it would be stupid not to connect to ground where a ground connection is available. It cost me less than $20 to install a new grounded 50amp 240v outlet. Surely it is better to fix the wiring problem instead of skipping a ground wire....

I found that the screw terminals on my Huanyang VFD to be far too close togeather for the gauge of wire needed for my spindle. I was worried about a short from a stray bit of copper wire etc so, I individually wrapped the ends of each cable with electrical tape and copper EMI shielding tape (so there is no unshielded part at the ends of the cable and no possibility of unwanted wire contact. It works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    At the risk of getting my head bitten off.... it's not super dangerous to run a spindle without ground being connected. That doesn't mean it is advisable though. It has the potential to be dangerous if there is a problem with the VFD.

I briefly tested my spindle without a ground connection before I installed the newer style outlets (which all have ground now). It worked fine. It wasn't that long ago that two pin outlets (with no ground) were the norm and within code in America. One of the vendors for Chinese VFDs and spindles has a YouTube video where they state that ground is optional.

A ground connection is a safety feature to prevent you getting shocked in the event there is a problem with your VFD. So.., if all else is well, it should never need to be used. I don't have that level of trust in Chinese VFDs though.... plus you might have an issue with your wiring...

Given the voltages involved and the potential consequences of a problem, however unlikely, it would be stupid not to connect to ground where a ground connection is available. It cost me less than $20 to install a new grounded 50amp 240v outlet. Surely it is better to fix the wiring problem instead of skipping a ground wire....

I found that the screw terminals on my Huanyang VFD to be far too close togeather for the gauge of wire needed for my spindle. I was worried about a short from a stray bit of copper wire etc so, I individually wrapped the ends of each cable with electrical tape and copper EMI shielding tape (so there is no unshielded part at the ends of the cable and no possibility of unwanted wire contact. It works very well.
    You almost got it right, the Ground wire is not only need as a safety wire, far from it, without having a Ground wire, you can do some serious damage to your spindle / motor and sometimes the electronics near by

The Ground wire is used to drain the Rotor Voltage which is always there when running any 3 Ph motor with a VFD Drive, there is nowhere for this voltage to go, but through your machine or the operator, as many that are on the Zone have found out the hard way

Watching Chinese videos showing that the Ground is optional, is only for China as it is a way they use it to regulate there population they have no regulation regarding Grounding, that's also the reason a lot of electronics coming from China are unsafe to use, the Common Router Spindles being one of them that are sold without a Ground connection, the better quality router spindles usually have a Ground connection
    Mactec54