586,693 active members*
2,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Software and controller recommendations for ROUTER

Software and controller recommendations for ROUTER

I have been CNC machining for years now using Surf-Cam and a 3 axis Milling center. This is high production with very tight tolerances.

I make things out of thermal sheet plastic and use the CNC primarily to build my own molds and fixtures from aluminum and steel.

Recently I purchased a Wart Hog CNC Router to help with trimming operations of the molded plastic parts. It seems to be a fine machine however I’m not getting everything out of it that I would like.

First the controller (win CNC) is pitiful offering a very limited selection of features compared to what I’m used to.

2nd is that when trimming around a 3D part the thing is very inconsistent in the Z axis. I can’t put my finger on why. Any ideas about this? The Z axis holds fine and repeats fairly accurately when we are cutting 2D projects but not with flowing 3D edges.

3rd I need a good production nesting software. I need to be able to take several different shape parts, designate how many of each I need, get automatic tabs, and track the left over scrap geometry so as to use that for following projects. Anything like that out there?

4th I want to keep this machine running as much as possible so as to get my money’s worth. Surf-Cam is great for the CNC mill but I’m looking for something better suited toward the Routers. Something that will give us capability as far as graphics, such as signs and plaques, is intuitive, converts a broad range of file types, and offers quality tool path generation and post processor. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Scott,
    I own a shopbot cnc and i have ordered an ascension control from custom cnc and i will be running mach software,i have spoken to several people who own it and they have nothing but good things to say about it.I use featurecam for 3-d machining on my vmc's and it works great!as soon as i get my ascension installed i will try it on my router.as far as software to make signs i use v-carve pro from vectric and for the money you cant beat it's performance.
    shawn

I am trying to find a good software program for my cnc machine right now i have down loaded soft ware for Bob wire i am having trouble with it right now if you have any sujestion please help

Mach3 to control your machine http://www.machsupport.com/
    Vectric http://www.vectric.com/ for the CAM part of CNC work.

Both are cheap but good products.

From what you have requested I would recommend either Visual mill or Mastercam router pro
    cc

Your Win-CNC controller card in the PC ONLY works with their Control Software. If you go in any other direction you first have to remove the WIN-CNC hardware card, then remove their software.

If you want to try MACH3 then you need a fairly fast PC with one parallel port (two if you want additional IO like our hand controller for MACH)

If your trimming functions are 2D or 2.5D then SheetCAM is a fully functional CAM program at $166 USD. It doesn't auto-nest but you can do it manually with its duplicate and array functions. As mentioned the Vectric 3D Cut is pretty good and the have the VCarve Pro for decorative 2.5D.

None of those are "production" nesting like you describe. It probably exists but the dollars will give you pause. You easily could spend more than you did for your router.

If you need full blown 3D then you will have to move into more expensive software or see if there is a Post for Surf-CAM to MACH3.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

CAD Nester

The software I use from Wittlock engineering has a spin off that will take DXF files and build a true shape nest. You can then import the DXF nest into the CAM soft ware that you like to use. This would make a good add on to anyone that needs true shape nesting but wants to keep their current CAM software.

I just did a cut and past from the sight or you can go and look at all the information.
    http://www.wittlockeng.com/Products.html

“CAD NESTER is a Windows based TRUE SHAPE, MULTI PART nesting software solution designed specifically for the manufacturing industry. Whether you are a job shop or large production shop, we have a solution that fits your needs. CAD NESTER provides a simple but powerful solution to nesting parts that requires only the most basic information for complete automation of the nesting process!”

Independent CNC Programmer
    Home Page: http://www.ctcn.net/~3kings

Software

Thanks for the infor I have been looking for a small time with all the programs out there i decided to go with the BobCAD-CAM. It just so happend that they was moving to a different location and I recieved the 2d and 3d and the capability of scanning the material in the program, also training programs and a year help, set up for 2 computers. for 1,700. I didn't think that was to bad considering every i looked it was going to be 2000 to 3800 for just the software.

Hope fully i will be able to sell some of the stuff after i get everything put together.

thanks tim clay

Software & Controller

I have to agree with Scott on this one.

I had a Shopbot for five years and ended up selling it because of the controller and wobbbbley cuts. I tried everything their tech dept suggested but had to give it up. Glad I did now that I own a 5'X10' Ez-Router.

If the Ascension 1000 controll box had been available I might have stayed with it. Still it's a bolt together, kit , type which is hard to keep it square when running constantly.

The Wart Hog should be good with a new controll box and V Carv Pro software. Both are dearm equipment at budget prices.

The Ascension comes with Mach 3 which is a very smooth G Code program. They will set it up for your needs, so the learning curve isn't much.

Looks as if you're close to acquiring your goals.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Scott,
    I've seen a few WartHog routers in the past, and they 'appear' to be structurally sound looking to me. However I've never heard any rave remarks regarding their performance. I've heard at one point ShoppBot was supplying their control box's, but i'm not sure on the control software. Sounds like you ended up with controller h/w s/w from Wincnc.

If you are looking to upgrade your controller and software, we (www.custom-cnc.com) are offering a package for such retrofits. We offer docementation for "Getting Started" to calibrate and hookup the software and periphereal hardware for your system (Z touch off, remote pause, limit/homing switches, etc). There is a dedicated 120V port/relay to use M3/M5 for your router. We also have a software front end to Mach3 that allows the user to have two Z heads. And for $70 on EBay you can purchase a USB based remote pendant for Mach3 that you can 'button customize' your your particular needs (i.e.; Contour Shuttle Pro).

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a line.

Alan
    [email protected]
    www.custom-cnc.com
    www.custom-cnc.com/forum

Well i thought i would take a few minutes to let everyone know how my upgrade to the ascension/mach went.....WOW! i wish i had done it sooner,it's like having a new machine.The cut's are soooo much smoother and it's at least three times faster than with the old shopbot software.Alan at custom cnc has been great with any questions i have had,customer service is excelent.The switchover was easy and took very little effort and for those of you that have any cnc experience you will love mach it will let you have total control of your machine.no regret's here except i wish i had done it sooner.
    shawn

Ascension Upgrade

Glad to hear how well the upgrade went. You're not the first CNC person who has had a real eye opener with the Ascension 1000. I've been pushing this product for some time. I wouldn't be recommending it if I didn't know how great it is. Although I don't have any investment with them or their product I will continue to support their upgrade.

I've seen old used wobbbbley Shopbots coupled up with this upgrade, that turned into a smooth cutting machine. That's the acid test.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Red face I am new at this, so take this with a grain of salt.....

I am using a WinCNC setup on my Shop Sabre and it is working just fine. The machine is a ballscrew setup on all axes. I don't really like its proprietary interface, but I didn't know anything about CNC at the time that I made the purchase. However, I have had no problems with 3D cutting or with my 4th axis unit. I am running a dual Z-Axis setup and also have a digitizing probe.

The one thing that I liked about my Shop Sabre purchase was that they (Shop Sabre) had me ship the computer to them. They installed the interface and the software and then set everything up before they shipped my machine. I truly believe this is why my machine has been completely dependable and accurate since I took it out of the crate. I also built my own control computer instead of just buying a Dell, etc. Since my area of expertise was the computer, I know that I have quality components throughout and that the computer is maximized to its fullest.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably not use WinCNC controls on a new machine and will probably upgrade my controls on the Shop Sabre if I ever start having trouble with them.

I have been using Xylotex controls and Mach 3 software on a little desktop CNC that I purchased for testing and educational purposes. I REALLY like the Mach 3 software but had some problems with the Xylotex controller.

I am using BobCAD/CAM, BobArt ProX and BobNest for my production software. I don't think much of their company, but their software has been working well and there is a lot of support for it out there in the forums.