Quote Originally Posted by Jonnygexter View Post
Thanks for noticing. I actually have another thread about that (that lost some traction). https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chine...95726-cnc.html
The issue was I heard an unpleasant knock sound when plunging, when the bit penetrated the material. The way I got it to stop was by drastically reducing the plunge rate and depth. Of course I would like to speed that up too, but I consider that another issue. I'd be super grateful to get more info on that thread (or here), as I plan to do some testing today to try increasing the speed/depth today.

My machine is the cheap DIY kit CNC 2418, so it's not very strong, but adequate for my needs (a hobbyist cutting thin polycarbonate). I'm sure its solidity doesn't compare to a professional machine, and also, I only get max 7000-8500 RPM on the spindle. Yes, it is Arduino based.

Thanks, I will have a look.

Note: I forgot to mention I'm on a Mac.
I would suggest you take a look at Freecad and GRBL for running the machine.Freecad costs nothing and is very capable once you learn it's ways;it allows a ramp entry and has a GRBL post processor built into the list of post processors.I can't offer much advice about Mac matters or GRBL,but being Arduino based you can probably figure that part out.