587,080 active members*
3,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: New 1100M Owner Questions!

Welcome to the family.

As for the RPM to torque question. I have two of the 1100Ms and run them at 5950 RPM for anything that requires torque. 7500 RPM is only good for light passes and such.

I run my roughing pass with 0.020" stock left and then do my finishing passes with a spring pass.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Welcome to the family.

As for the RPM to torque question. I have two of the 1100Ms and run them at 5950 RPM for anything that requires torque. 7500 RPM is only good for light passes and such.

I run my roughing pass with 0.020" stock left and then do my finishing passes with a spring pass.
    Thanks smokediver for your feedback. Good info on reducing RPM to maximize torque. So if I'm cutting 6061 using a 3/8" 3 flute carbide end mill running at 5950 rpm with a 1/2" DOC and a 30 IPM feedrate, what WOC can I take using an adaptive strategy? I'm looking for a starting point that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaman View Post
    Thanks smokediver for your feedback. Good info on reducing RPM to maximize torque. So if I'm cutting 6061 using a 3/8" 3 flute carbide end mill running at 5950 rpm with a 1/2" DOC and a 30 IPM feedrate, what WOC can I take using an adaptive strategy? I'm looking for a starting point that makes sense.
    With limited horsepower, you'll be better off using light radial cuts and chip thinning. Especially if you don't have flood cooling. start at 10% of the tool diameter, so .05" and start at 80IPM and bump up from there. I use HSMadvisor for all my cutting parameters, well worth the $.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    With limited horsepower, you'll be better off using light radial cuts and chip thinning. Especially if you don't have flood cooling. start at 10% of the tool diameter, so .05" and start at 80IPM and bump up from there. I use HSMadvisor for all my cutting parameters, well worth the $.
    I appreciate your input. My strategy has been to use as much of the flute length as is reasonable. I set my spindle speed and from there I adjust WOC and IPM to suit the material. That worked well on my PM-932 converted mill. Now I have a 1100M and basically learning what the mill can do.

I use the Micro100 speed and feed calculator which has has worked for me in the past. Entering the basic criteria for 6061 of 3/8" diameter 3 flute carbide end mill spinning at 7500 rpm, 1/2" DOC and .05" WOC it recommends 129 IPM (.0057 IPT). Obviously that won't work as I used a more conservative approach as described in my original post.

All that being said I'll try your suggested parameters and work up from there once my three flute end mills get here next week.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaman View Post
    I appreciate your input. My strategy has been to use as much of the flute length as is reasonable. I set my spindle speed and from there I adjust WOC and IPM to suit the material. That worked well on my PM-932 converted mill. Now I have a 1100M and basically learning what the mill can do.

I use the Micro100 speed and feed calculator which has has worked for me in the past. Entering the basic criteria for 6061 of 3/8" diameter 3 flute carbide end mill spinning at 7500 rpm, 1/2" DOC and .05" WOC it recommends 129 IPM (.0057 IPT). Obviously that won't work as I used a more conservative approach as described in my original post.

All that being said I'll try your suggested parameters and work up from there once my three flute end mills get here next week.
    Not in a tormach but 3/8 3flute carbide endmill I run:
    Doc: up to 2x doc so .75 max
    Woc: .1 max for roughing .005 finishing
    Rpm: 6000
    FeedRate: 60ipm roughing 40 ipm finish

I have pushed the 3/8 much faster but you probably cannot with the low horsepower.

1/4 3flute carbide endmill I run:
    Doc: up to 2x doc so .5 max
    FeedRate:40 ipm

I will full slot with the 1/4 at these same feed rates and depths but you must have high quality tools and flood coolant.

I run these in er16 collets

If you want I think I have some videos of the cuts

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Not in a tormach but 3/8 3flute carbide endmill I run:
    Doc: up to 2x doc so .75 max
    FeedRate: 60ipm roughing 40 ipm finish

I have pushed the 3/8 much faster but you probably cannot with the low horsepower.

1/4 3flute carbide endmill I run:
    Doc: up to 2x doc so .5 max
    FeedRate:40 ipm

I will full slot with the 1/4 at these same feed rates and depths but you must have high quality tools and flood coolant.

I run these in er16 collets

If you want I think I have some videos of the cuts
    Good info! Thanks. I'm still getting a "feel" for what the 1100M can do so this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Welcome to the family.

Smokediver - Are you using flood coolant on your 1100M's? Any leaks like I describe in my original post? The best I can tell is coolant that drains down through the small gaps between the chip tray and the stand at the rear of the enclosure allow some of the coolant to miss the chip/coolant basket on the coolant tank. If the basket and coolant tank was about an inch longer I believe it would catch the stray coolant. I'm looking at making a couple of aluminum deflector plates to redirect the coolant. I was wondering if others have had this happen and what they've done to correct it.

BTW - In the hardware supplied with the mill are 24 round rubber/soft plastic discs with a small dimple in the center. What are these for? Thought they might be for the window retainer screws but there aren't enough to do all of the screws.