586,909 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC owners - can you post some sizes please

Tormach PCNC owners - can you post some sizes please

Hi All - I am a Toolmaker/Mouldmaker working from home - in New Zealand - I have a Syil X3 - but now I have just discovered the Tormach.

This machine looks a lot more solid - and looks as though the slideways have much better engagement length. Could someone please post the length of slide engagement and length of travel while fully engaged - The X3 Y travel only has about 3" of travel before engagement length reduces badly.- And at max of about 6" is only half engaged. The Tormach looks a lot better. also the X3 vertical colum is light in section only about 4"X 6" - love to know what the Tormach is - it looks in the pics I have studied to be more like 8" x 6" ..?

I have limited ridgidity for steel work eg a 3/8 HSS cutter with 0.050 cuts is almost too much..... or a 1/2" with 0.030" etc - metal removal is better with max revs and carbide - but the lack of ridigity means the edge does not last very long.....and I see the Tormach spins faster.....
    Cheers

My Tormach has full engagement over the full travel lengths of:

x - 15.9 inches
    y - 10 inches
    z - 16.25 inches

Newer machines have 18 inches on the x -axis but I'm sure it still has full engagement.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi All - I am a Toolmaker/Mouldmaker working from home - in New Zealand - I have a Syil X3 - but now I have just discovered the Tormach.

This machine looks a lot more solid - and looks as though the slideways have much better engagement length. Could someone please post the length of slide engagement and length of travel while fully engaged - The X3 Y travel only has about 3" of travel before engagement length reduces badly.- And at max of about 6" is only half engaged. The Tormach looks a lot better. also the X3 vertical colum is light in section only about 4"X 6" - love to know what the Tormach is - it looks in the pics I have studied to be more like 8" x 6" ..?

I have limited ridgidity for steel work eg a 3/8 HSS cutter with 0.050 cuts is almost too much..... or a 1/2" with 0.030" etc - metal removal is better with max revs and carbide - but the lack of ridigity means the edge does not last very long.....and I see the Tormach spins faster.....
    Cheers

keen, the Tormach column is 9.75" wide x 8.5" deep. I don't know what the wall thickness is though.

The Y axis is fully engaged for the whole travel. If you look at http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...arts_Lists.pdf you will see that the Y ways run from the column to the front of the machine base. I didn't understand your question until I saw http://www.syilamerica.com/images/da/RIMG0006.jpg and realized that the X3 ways were not full-length.

Hope this helps! I love my Tormach.

Best regards,

Randy

Hey, overlapping replies! I went down to measure my machine in the midst of typing.

(correction of Phil's post retracted)

Best regards,

Randy

My column is 10 inches wide by 8 inches deep (not including the z-axis ways).

Regards
    Phil

- love to know what the Tormach is - it looks in the pics I have studied to be more like 8" x 6" ..?

Ooops, yes, I have edited the typo.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTrains View Post
    Hey, overlapping replies!

I think you mean to say that the X travel is 18 inches, Phil...

Best regards,

Randy

Smile Many thanks

Hey - Many thanks Guys! that was quick! Your machines are so much better proportioned than the X3. This is all the confirmation I need to make the decision. cheers.

Gibs?

Oh, one last question. The X3 has screw adjusted parallel gibs on the X and y slides - does the Tormach have the same or taper gibs? cheers

Oops just saw your exploded drawing link Randy - taper gibs - excellent news!

Cheers
    We've just got a Tormach in Auckland if you'd like to see one.

Regards,

Brian Harris
    021 973 198

could some one please post up the dimensions of the deluxe stand? i asked for it when i was getting my quote but never got it from them. they have the size of the crate it comes in listed on their site but not the assembled dimensions. from looking at the pictures i am guessing about 3-1/2' x 7' to 4' x 8' but would like exact measurements to make sure it will fit in my shop.

thanks.

Robert, http://www.tormach.com/document_library/D40148.pdf has a fully dimensioned drawing of the machine on the deluxe stand.

Best regards,

Randy

Check out the pdf's on their website-all dimensions are there.

Cheers,

BH

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harris View Post
    Check out the pdf's on their website-all dimensions are there.

Cheers,

BH
    i still couldn't find them. the only dimensions i can find are the packaging dimensions i believe, unless the chip tray is in fact 10'10" long. that sounds pretty big to me.

could some one please post up the dimensions of the deluxe stand?
    The chip tray on the deluxe stand is 47" deep x 80" wide and you'll need around 78-80" of headroom.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The chip tray on the deluxe stand is 47" deep x 80" wide and you'll need around 78-80" of headroom.

Mike
    thanks!