587,047 active members*
2,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Storing Full Bed CNC with 2 Post Auto List

Storing Full Bed CNC with 2 Post Auto List

Hair brained idea, but I wanted to run this past some people and get feedback.

I am moving into a new house and have a Kronos CNC Router (8' x 4' or close) that I built 3 years ago that never had a chance to see one run due to unforeseen circumstances. In order to preserve some space, I was thinking to mount it to a standard 2 post car lift. This would give me roughly 72 - 75" of lift when not in use to be able to park a car under or whatever.

If permanently mounted to the lift and leveled, would something like this provide enough stability to work correctly?

Shawn

Re: Storing Full Bed CNC with 2 Post Auto List

Hi Shawn - I think this plan depends on how true you need to have your machine base. A 2 post car lift is not really stable enough to return an object to its starting position. If it takes quite a while to square and level your bed and you need your bed to be level than its not going to work IMHO. If you are doing non level critical things like bread boards some signage etc then it will go up and down and it will be fine. You will just need to make small corrections in your set up vs re levelling the table each time it comes down. One thing to think about is mounting it at a steep angle to make the footprint smaller. Some mount them vertically on walls. Depends on what sort of work you do on the machine. Cheers Peter

Re: Storing Full Bed CNC with 2 Post Auto List

This is strictly for fun and hobby use, but I would like to get something put together that will give good results, of course. Considering that involving a lift would cost me $2k or more just to try it out, I may just skip it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Shawn