587,487 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New 8L Lathe

Hybrid View

Re: New 8L Lathe

Couple quick pointers for anyone setting one of these machines up.

MY
    machine base come with 2 sets of feet. Look for both sets and decide on what you like before you install on machine base.
    machine was bolted to shipping pallet with large socket head cap screws "had to use 7/16 bolt head for removal tool because no allen / socket head wrenches that big.
    Spend time adjusting lifting straps so the machine is pretty level when lifting. Helps big time when setting it on base and aligning holes
    Follow Tormach's directions at your own risk "but it works and no sheet metal damage" still a spreader bar would eliminate any risk for this lift.
    Check the cast iron legs under lathe for correct length as stated in manual " 3.25 "very important" I used 3.125" as length this left only a paper thin gap around machine sheet metal to base sheet metal.
    It will take some time to align the 4 machine leg holes to the base and install studs and bolt machine down. mirror and flashlight is required for this.
    I then moved machine into position and leveled base so coolant system would not puddle to much.

Wired it and fired it!
    Important the control puck requires a usb plug on the brix box controller. Do not use the usb extender plugs! Plug everything else like keyboard, mouse, network into it!

Tool setup
    The directions for setting the tool offsets in the manual does not work as explained. The directions are repeated a number of times in 2 different manuals and had me scratching my head for a couple hours.
    It states a number of times to take skim cut, measure and enter this as a negative value and then select the touch x button. Not clear to me why this is explained so clearly in so many places to use a negative value for the front tool post holder and it does not work that way! It requires just the diameter value only, no negative sign!
    A negative sign moves the entire part center off x-center by that amount and will not work correctly.

Overall:
    My crates were damaged. machine did have some sheet metal damage "dent" in one spot
    Pallets were almost gone so I had to supply 2x4 material under crate base for pallet jack to move them. This made setup more work also. "Holiday shipping sucks"
    Coolant pump hose fitting was wrong size.
    One shot oil pump had gasket bulge out the side and required repair.
    z axis makes more noise at full rapid then I would expect.

Better instructions for the collet system and how to assemble, lock and tighten would be helpful to non experienced users.
    Better instructions for High low speed settings would help. Kind of confusing and need more detail on use.
    Better instructions or correct instructions on tool setup of x offset

In short not much to complain about other than I forgot how much time it takes to clean and setup even a modest / small tool like this.
    Took me a couple days because I have limited use of my hands before they get tired, useless and painful.

Doing some Test parts and indicating / verifying the inspection report to the machine is last item of my setup list

Hope this helps some readers on what to expect and what issues I had.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Couple quick pointers for anyone setting one of these machines up.
    Tool setup
    The directions for setting the tool offsets in the manual does not work as explained. The directions are repeated a number of times in 2 different manuals and had me scratching my head for a couple hours.
    It states a number of times to take skim cut, measure and enter this as a negative value and then select the touch x button. Not clear to me why this is explained so clearly in so many places to use a negative value for the front tool post holder and it does not work that way! It requires just the diameter value only, no negative sign!
    A negative sign moves the entire part center off x-center by that amount and will not work correctly.
    Negative value should be used for tools mounted on the operator side. Positive values are the back side. On the slant 15 all turret tools are positive and most gang and the toolpost are negative. Just how the control knows which way to move. You may find that it worked during setup but if you program a part in conversational you may not get the result you expected. When you jog, negative should bring the tool towards you.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Negative value should be used for tools mounted on the operator side. Positive values are the back side. On the slant 15 all turret tools are positive and most gang and the toolpost are negative. Just how the control knows which way to move. You may find that it worked during setup but if you program a part in conversational you may not get the result you expected. When you jog, negative should bring the tool towards you.
    Only way I could get conversational to work and it requires negative values in some places also.
    The kicker is sprutcam programs works exactly as you say and put everything in negative values. I set a number of programs with front tool post and they all had to be changed to look like its flipped over and they all have positive values for x

does not work as documents I read.

I dont have a clue why it works backwards. Can motor control be wired wrong?

The couple test programs using 2 different tools I did turned out with great finish and accurate. And all the tool offsets worked fine. Just not per documents . it acts more like rapid turn should work.

When I jog the Puck minus moves tool away and plus moves tool toward center.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Only way I could get conversational to work and it requires negative values in some places also.
    The kicker is sprutcam programs works exactly as you say and put everything in negative values. I set a number of programs with front tool post and they all had to be changed to look like its flipped over and they all have positive values for x

does not work as documents I read.

I dont have a clue why it works backwards. Can motor control be wired wrong?

The couple test programs using 2 different tools I did turned out with great finish and accurate. And all the tool offsets worked fine. Just not per documents . it acts more like rapid turn should work.

When I jog the Puck minus moves tool away and plus moves tool toward center.

It us well documented and a CNC standard to use values as per setup instructions. PP even warns you its wrong to have a positive value in x with front mount tools. There is a dip switch or a pp control problem for that axis. I dont understand how it will home correctly but not work per design when setting x offsets.