586,096 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach Rigidity

Was wondering if any of you do heavy machining - steel etc - and know the machines weakest link. I imagine under heavy cuts flex of the vertical column,base to vertical column or head would allow cutter chatter. Going off my Syil x3 and allowing for the Tormachs heavier proportions I imagine a 1/2 inch HSS end mill cutting say Mild Steel at sensible revs and feed - might be at its limit at say 1/4 inc depths? If there is a weak link that lets the rest of the machine down/has anyone made mods to beef the machine up - or is the machine quite balanced in its proportions? welcome youre thoughts.

Maybe you have seen this, but just in case.

http://www.tormach.com/mfg_database.htm

There are 2 steel milling examples with technical details and videos.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Was wondering if any of you do heavy machining - steel etc - and know the machines weakest link. I imagine under heavy cuts flex of the vertical column,base to vertical column or head would allow cutter chatter. Going off my Syil x3 and allowing for the Tormachs heavier proportions I imagine a 1/2 inch HSS end mill cutting say Mild Steel at sensible revs and feed - might be at its limit at say 1/4 inc depths? If there is a weak link that lets the rest of the machine down/has anyone made mods to beef the machine up - or is the machine quite balanced in its proportions? welcome youre thoughts.

Thanks Phil - Yes I've seen that - it seems about as ridgid as my manual Kondia (bridgeport type). Thats pretty useful! The 1/2 inch rippa cutter stage is impressive - not sure why it was faced with a 1/4 inch cutter though? I have just heard my Tormach will be here in NZ end of August - so I will soon know.